Mitsubishi Montero?

Anyone have any experience with Mitsubishi Monteros? I found a 2002 locally. Probably a street truck its entire life and appears to be in good shape. Any stock weak points that make it a no-go? I'm not sure if this truck has the rear locker but does have BFG KOs.

Overall I'm looking for a stock 4x4. Cheap but shouldn't be too much of a pain. I'll be keeping it stock, using it for driving around on the tree farm, camping, and trail scouting (tons of trails about an 1-1.5 hours from my office, would be nice to ride up there after work and take a look). Also maybe look at doing an OBX trip or similar to FL early next year. Oh and I'm going to park it on the street here in town. I'll keep it nice for when I take clients out but at the same time if it gets bashed, or magically disappears, I won't care.

If I keep the price low, I can offload it super quick if needed. Also considering an old chebby blazer (the S-10, not K-5). Once again. Should just work. If I smash it, who cares. And I can probably sell it quick.

I know Jimbo is an advocate of the Explorer...but I'm having trouble finding one that I like around here.

I talked to him about monteros awhile back and he seemed to have good things to say about them.

Are you talking about the bigger montero or montero sport?

I like the late 80s 2 door monteros and raiders too. They're cool and boxy looking.

Look at Isuzu as well. I like the rodeo and rodeo sports a lot and the troopers are pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Montero Sports and also I'm looking at a later Trooper as well. My dad had a 1993 back in the day. It just went. I'd like to get an OBD2 truck so I can run diagnostics easily.

Seems like both trucks are low key and reliable.

Have you considered a 4runner. My moms is still trucking at just over 500k miles. For mild wheeling they wouldn't be bad and it cruises right down the interstate. I know there are a couple cheap ones around Greenville. I am actually test driving one this afternoon.

I'd love a 4 runner. However I'd only spring for a late 90s or early 2000s one. They still demand a pretty penny.

My buddy and I used to go camping and mtn biking in his. Darn good truck. Rear locker got us out of a few jams, especially since he figured out the front axle disconnect was broken.