Jeep YJ Tomken Fuel Tank Skid Plate Installation

It was time to finally ditch the factory skid plate. It barely had enough metal left to keep the tank up.

The mess it left behind.

I did not realize this skid plate was just a plate to go under the factory skid. Since it was ridiculous to try and utilize my old skid plate, i needed to modify the Tomken. The Tomken skid was a pretty good deal compared to buying a new factory skid. It took about 1.5 hours fab time.

I put the factory plate inside of the Tomken to mark where i needed to add some brackets.

Pretty much i recreated the factory brackets and put them on the Tomken skid.

Gave it a paintjob and put the dirty tank in it. Such a shame

Strapped down the tank to the skid.

Now it is ready for installation. I ordered a new fuel filler hose, but realized the filler vent tube was rotted good. I ordered the replacement Vent hose and I am going to replace the rubber fuel lines. When i dropped the tank i noticed the lines were severely kinked when the tank was bolted back up before. Maybe that is why i was so sluggish, the fuel was pretty restricted to the fuel rail.

I did that to a TJ tank with a kilby skid back in college, but I had to put in some foam filler on the sides because the skid had too much space. I guess if the tank straps are tight enough it doesnt matter.

Actually no. my stepdad bought it new in 91 in Florida. The big reason for that was him using the Jeep to launch his boat. I lucked out that this was the worst rust out of the jeep. Everyting else is good.

Gotcha. My TJ spent it's life in VA beach. I'm guessing that's where all the lower rust came from... Everything above the lower frame rails was fine.