Jeep Hardtop Lift Struts

My lift struts are about dead on my hardtop and I was looking to get some new ones.

I looked up the part number at advance and its a C4249 from Strongarm. A quick search of amazon lists the same arm for $17.48 with free shipping.

OK, so done deal right???

well I'm reading the reviews and almost all of the reviewers say the arm is TOO STRONG. Resulting in broken glass as they tried to close them. They say two hands are a must to close it.

Who all has replaced your arms and what did you use?

I was ready to pull the trigger on these, but I just dont want them to be too strong and I break my glass.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...t-strong-arm_19940090-p?searchTerm=strong+arm

http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-4249-Wrangler-Hardtop-Support/dp/B000ALIRSQ#productDetails

I replaced the struts on my wife's Liberty with the ones from moparpartsonline.com a few years ago but they are about double the price and they are failing again. No problem closing though. Just now not quite opening all the way.

well, I found some other reviews that said they werent so bad, so I picked up a set of 4 lift struts for my wifes liberty (hood and rear gate) and two for my jeep. The 4 pack on amazon for hers was only $45 and my pair were $32. They were strongarm with free shipping. They want $30 a piece for them at the autoparts stores.

I used the strong arms and as long as you use two hands they are fine. I liked them because I can leave the back open for mu pooch and the wind wont blow it closed. also they are made right here in SC.

I would go to o'rilleys bring in the length open and closed and they should have some with different strengths, that is what I would do lol

I had to find one for a side door that lifted up on a food truck, I had found one that was close enough to the length and had like 80lbs or 120lbs of lift. It was for a custom box sk there wasnt one made for it.

I had to find one for a side door that lifted up on a food truck, I had found one that was close enough to the length and had like 80lbs or 120lbs of lift. It was for a custom box sk there wasnt one made for it.
in a situation like that you only have so many options.

for future reference, I used this place to order mine when I built my camping trailer, you can search by length and support lbs on the website. They also have tons of different kinds of ends available.

http://autopartsbylou.com/lift-supports-product.php?item=10589M10

I'll agree that the ones from advance are really strong. Just got a set for my wife's Liberty and the back glass is tough to close. Seems like it would be better for a full lift gate vs. just glass.

to follow up on this, I replaced the lift struts on my rear hardtop glass, as well as my wifes rear glass and hood all with the strong arm struts from amazon. They were half the price of the struts at the autoparts stores and all work great.

A few notes, They are pretty strong, but not so much that its bad. Most people install these after having nearly dead struts so you dont remember how strong it used to be. Also, the ball sockets on the struts for my hardtop were a bit big, the only way around this is to go get the factory replacements for 3 times the price. It wasn't worth it to me. We'll see how long these last.