gas spillage when filling 08 JKU

I purchased my Jeep about 6 weeks ago and have since discovered every time I fill the tank it "regurges" gasoline at me. I have had one successful fill out of 5 or 6 and that was because I stopped it early. Has anyone else had this problem? If so is there a fix. I am going to try to remember nest time to stop a few gallons from full and take the nozzle out than place it back in to see if this helps. (Thinking it may be a pressure issue, if I let it click off and leave the nozzle in it will still spill out.)

Jackie

I keep track of how low the fuel is and start listening for it when it gets close, there is a distinct sound change right before it gurgles up.

Check and see if your tank has a vent. If so it may be clogged.. that could cause the build up of pressure that is spitting gas at you

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Have you been going to the same station or multiple ones? I've had that issue before with certain vehicles at certain pumps, must be something to do with flow rate.

I have this same issue. I've found that if I NOT insert the pump nozzle all the way into the filler neck it doesn't happen. We have a tendency to shove it in as far as possible(that's what she said) and let her rip. I haven't had it happen since I figured that little trick out.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have this same issue. I've found that if I NOT insert the pump nozzle all the way into the filler neck it doesn't happen. We have a tendency to shove it in as far as possible(that's what she said) and let her rip. I haven't had it happen since I figured that little trick out.
Yeah, I think it was the xj that turning the nozzle 90 or 180 degrees helped.

My '07 will do it if I set the fill speed to wide open throttle. If I just put it on the slower fill speed it won't spill back out.
But, who has time to fill on the slow speed?

Last edited:
Jimbo thanks. I know all recalls have been completed, and I think when I read the record that was one of them. I will look into this however and see if maybe it wasn't done correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue with my 07. Jeep extended a lifetime warranty on this issue. They replaced the entire tank and filler mechanism. Call the dealer. Should be free repair.

Note - I do not believe there was an actual recall on this, but the NHTSA was researching at the time. Chrysler capitulated, sent a letter alerting to the extended warranty.