Foundation Repair

I found some separation between our crown molding and ceiling in our living room. Go outside and i found the corresponding cracks in the brick foundation. Fortunately we have caught it a bit quickly, but now i am trying to figure out what i am going to get for sticker shock. What have you guys had to pay for foundation work? I have two different companies scheduled for estimates but i am wanting to get a little perspective on price before i hear from them. It looks like it is right on the corner of the foundation, so not in the center if that makes any difference.

All you have to do is tunnel under the foundation , make the bottom of the hole so you can put a plate or something solid in the bottom of the hole , go to Harbor Frieght and pick up a 10 ton hydralic jack , jack the crack closed and pour the hole with the jack in it full of concrete . Call if you want to talk about it .

I would think you would want the jack to be exposed (given it would rot from moisture) in case you need to raise it some more. For a stronger footing, a thick piece of stainless steel plate maybe? Steel would rust, aluminum maybe good if thick enough.

It will work . I've done it several times . Mount Valley basically does the same thing for about $1500 . That's who told me how to do it . MV just uses a screw system .

Last edited:
Jack will be air tight so it shouldn't rust . Don't know how you would do it and leave the jack exposed ? If it does rust you would have a 2ft block of concrete around it . Just like a pillar under the house .

Last edited:
If i had access to cosmoline i would cover the jack with it and then make a cover to go around it. Now you have me thinking . I am guessing you make a smaller hole say about a brick width. so the rest doesnt get unstable.

All you have to do is tunnel under the foundation , make the bottom of the hole so you can put a plate or something solid in the bottom of the hole , go to Harbor Frieght and pick up a 10 ton hydralic jack , jack the crack closed and pour the hole with the jack in it full of concrete . Call if you want to talk about it .
frank is on the money....done this for a friend years ago still working great

Same here, but used floor jacks from Lowes. Lots cheaper than bottle jacks.
Not the kind of floor Jack your thinking. They are old school screw jacks. Some people call them beam jacks.
I'm about to do my own house here soon as it warms up a bit.

Last edited:
That's a nice idea! Dan, the jack will be okay if surrounded by concrete. Rebar in the south isn't coated and is fine. We have torn a bunch of concrete out and the rebar looks fresh. If it did rust it wouldn't be in your lifetime.

I got a quote yesterday for 900 for the job. An honestly i will probably go that route. As much as i fix everything else around the house, i cant offer myself a warranty for anything that goes wrong with this.