Diff question: Carrier Bearing Replacement

I've been told that my carrier bearings are shot in my rear axle (rear axle is kin to a Dana 60). A shop wanted to charge me $600 to replace them :eeek: . After getting my thoughts under control, I informed them, no.

Having pulled the 3rd member before, I don't think its $600 worth of work. The pinion bearing (and everything in regards to the pinion) is fine so I'm thinking of just replacing the carrier bearings. I found the carrier bearings for a reasonable price and I'm thinking of doing it myself.

Any pitfalls to doing it myself? My idea is pull the 3rd member and taking it to a shop and having them pull the old bearings and press on the new ones. Then re-installing the 3rd member and then check the tolerance with a dial gauge. If needed, get shims in there (currently it doesn't have any shims in there so I kinda have a feeling it won't need any). BTW where can I procure shims? I figure NAPA would have them.

But yeah, but wanted to ask here. I don't think its anything ground breaking but wanted to ask anyway. The rest of the rear axle is in good shape (except for looking like crap, but whatever). I figure if I can get out for under $100 doing it myself, that would be fine (found timken bearing and races for $30). One last thing, this isn't my DD so if it has to sit in the garage for a few days with no diff cover on it, then that is fine.

Thanks for any help on this.

Your thinking seems to be correct. The pinion depth shouldn't change, just the "side to side" now that you will have new bearings. I did the same thing when I installed the ARB in my 8.8. I left the pinion alone (it can only be in one location to properly mesh with the ring gear). Then I just adjusted for Backlash.

01tj

Being that its a third member you should be able to adjust the backlash on the ring gear with the adjustors on the side.

I've been told that my carrier bearings are shot in my rear axle (rear axle is kin to a Dana 60). A shop wanted to charge me $600 to replace them :eeek: . After getting my thoughts under control, I informed them, no.

Having pulled the 3rd member before, I don't think its $600 worth of work. The pinion bearing (and everything in regards to the pinion) is fine so I'm thinking of just replacing the carrier bearings. I found the carrier bearings for a reasonable price and I'm thinking of doing it myself.

Any pitfalls to doing it myself? My idea is pull the 3rd member and taking it to a shop and having them pull the old bearings and press on the new ones. Then re-installing the 3rd member and then check the tolerance with a dial gauge. If needed, get shims in there (currently it doesn't have any shims in there so I kinda have a feeling it won't need any). BTW where can I procure shims? I figure NAPA would have them.

But yeah, but wanted to ask here. I don't think its anything ground breaking but wanted to ask anyway. The rest of the rear axle is in good shape (except for looking like crap, but whatever). I figure if I can get out for under $100 doing it myself, that would be fine (found timken bearing and races for $30). One last thing, this isn't my DD so if it has to sit in the garage for a few days with no diff cover on it, then that is fine.

Thanks for any help on this.

is the Salisbury axle a removable third member?

yea if its a third member it will have two threaded cap bearing cap like things that you adjust the backlash with. just unscrew each side and count how many revolutions it takes to back them out... then when you screw them back in use that info and it should be close..

yea if its a third member it will have two threaded cap bearing cap like things that you adjust the backlash with. just unscrew each side and count how many revolutions it takes to back them out... then when you screw them back in use that info and it should be close..
Pulling from memory, I don't remember these two threaded cap bearing cap like things.

Here is an exploded diagram. Looks like it has shims between the carrier and the bearing. I guess that is the "adjustment" part.

internals.jpg