Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway Oct 8-11

I was planning a trip to the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway sometime around Saturday October 8th to Tuesday, October 11th. My plan was for my 10 year old son and I to head up early Saturday morning, get on the trail and find a dispersed camping spot on public land and then explore the trail Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, we are going to head over the Mammoth Cave National Park to link up with my wife/in-laws.

If anyone is interested in going to the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway with me, let me know so we can coordinate. I can be flexible with dates.

EDIT: I am changing the dates of my trip.
I will be leaving the Mammoth Caves area on Friday, October 14th and getting to the DBBB later that morning. The plan now is to camp Friday night and Saturday night along the DBBB, heading home Sunday.

Last edited:
I have returned. The Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway was, interesting. I was unable to circumnavigate the loop on account of a landowner who decided to use a semi-trailer and a bunch of junk to block access to a public road. Apparently the court ruled that it indeed was a public road and should not be blocked, but it still is. The rest of it was pretty decent though. Although the loop is nearly 100 miles long, only about half of that is off off road trails. The majority is back-country roads that are barely even paved, transitioning to gravel then to two track. There were some parts where the trail is a creek bed. I will elaborate more at teh meeting tomorrow night.

And now for the visuals.

Part of a creek bed:
th_MOV02805_zpsk67liftz.jpg

A wetter part of a creek bed. Keep in mind it has not rained for about a month.

One of the "friendlier" locals.
DSC02811_zpskjawkiim.jpg