D30 Abuse?

Been out of the jeep scene for a lot of years. Trying to decide which direction to go with the cj5. Everybody knows I have a light weight foot so I don't plan on beating on it. Axle shaft....I feel like 33's are within its limits for the type trails I like. What about ballpoints and steering components? Prob get some chromo shafts or find some spares to take just in case. Can it handle hydro assist?

Hydro assist will be overkill for 33s. The dana 30 should handle just fine with 33s. I have been on a dana 27 for a few years in my old jeep and it was fine. If you drive with a light foot i wouldnt worry about it. But there are people who break 60s with ease.

Cj 30s are a little limited when it comes to upgrades compared to the newer stuff. It should hold up to 33s just fine though. Especially a skinny tire like a 10.50 or 255.

Hydro assist will be overkill for 33s. The dana 30 should handle just fine with 33s. I have been on a dana 27 for a few years in my old jeep and it was fine. If you drive with a light foot i wouldnt worry about it. But there are people who break 60s with ease.
While agree to an extent. East coast for sure. Out west I want it. Imagine wheeling on pavement for a week or trying to steer.

Since you need to convert to power steering anyway no sense in not going hydro assist since it doesn't increase the cost of the total swap a whole lot. And you get al really nice parts in the process. Cj power steering sucks in stock form, and all the parts to convert to a stock setup are old as hell

I swapped the power into both of my CJs and i dont think i ever found it wanting to go any better. Given i went from manual and it was god's gift to me. Largest tire i ran with the Saginaw power steering was 34s. Easily turn with one hand. Only thing i had to do is add a cooler. Tellico did make my steering get real hot when i didnt have a cooler.

Im thinking 33x10.50 on these stock little wheels. Like Jimbo said I have to buy everything already. Im hoping for a selectable front locker like the Fj80 had. Unlocking the front on the fly was huge. Maybe that will negate the need for assist.

Look on pirates willys forum, they're is a lot of guys running stock cj axles and running gear and pushing them pretty far. Sounds like a cool jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like ill save my money on the high steer. All I'm trying to do is mild trails and dirt roads. Hell I've already planned a mtn bike day at Oscar this year. I wanna ride out to Mason Jar then drop down it.