CRD liberty ghey or kewl?

Wondering what yall thought about the CRD libertys (05-06) and if they have potential or are duds? I know they have several common problems, tq convertor, headgasket, timing chain... they only made them for 2 years but they put out impressive power with a pretty good return in mpg. I've been wanting to get into some kind of diesel for awhile if for no other reason then i like diesel smoke in the morning...and i like turbos.

Just kicking stuff around for now but im wanting rid of my truck and replace it with something else. 4 doors preferably, auto, and be able to road trip is about my only criteria i can think of at the moment. Liberty usualy screams girly ghey jeep to me but i think the diesel in it would make it some what manlier. Small lift with 31s and a front bumper and drive it. Nothing hardcore, just be able to take it to the mountains, snow, dirt roads maybe a gulches or uwharrie trip.

How is the inside space compare to an XJ? Enough room for a small horse to lay down behind the seats (he can in an XJ)?

I like the WK's as well and the diesel version of it would be badass but probably more moneys then id want to spend unless it was melissa's mainly. They have the same MB as sprinter vans which are pricey to fix, but they have all kinds of power from my experience with a sprinter atleast.

F54398634.jpg

Jim this is my new town new vehicle thread. I waited 2 weeks.

Kewl. My sister had the gas version in that body style now she has a 2010 Liberty 4x4. I like them both. They definitely seem much smaller than an XJ in the cargo area to me. I couldn't even picture your dog in the way back of my sisters old one. You would have to cut a new sunroof for his head.

We have a gas 05 and it has a nice ride and has room, the backseat is easier to get into than a cherokee but I think they took some of that extra room from the cargo area.

I need to go sit in one and look at it but I like the split seats how they'll pay down. We have a hitch carrier and been talking about getting a cargo box for luggage and trips.

From what I have read about the motors they have issues but easily resolved like most all diesel motors. A tune eliminates a lot of it as well as locks up the torque converter that's prone to issues.

This one looks pretty good
2005 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition 53k Miles 11700

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4762868653.html

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I like it.

I've never been in one for long distances, but a friend had a liberty for a company car and said it was very uncomfortable for long trips. I've only been in Brooks' a few times and moved it around the yard, but it seems pretty comfortable to me...

Last edited:
I need to go sit in one and look at it but I like the split seats how they'll pay down. We have a hitch carrier and been talking about getting a cargo box for luggage and trips.

From what I have read about the motors they have issues but easily resolved like most all diesel motors. A tune eliminates a lot of it as well as locks up the torque converter that's prone to issues.

looks like a sweet little liberty. Surprisingly low miles.

That thing is PIMP, throw some lockers in it and you have a nice camping/mild wheeling rig.

My wife drives an 02 (gas) that she bought new. It's been a great vehicle. No major issues at all. We checked out the diesel when they came out, but it wasn't quite enough to tow my jeep so no real point to trade up to it. Also, if you are tall don't get a sunroof. The diesel we checked out had one which my wife loved. I was able to adjust the drivers power seat for room. The passenger seat didn't have those options and my head stuck into the sunroof.

My wife drives an 02 (gas) that she bought new. It's been a great vehicle. No major issues at all. We checked out the diesel when they came out, but it wasn't quite enough to tow my jeep so no real point to trade up to it. Also, if you are tall don't get a sunroof. The diesel we checked out had one which my wife loved. I was able to adjust the drivers power seat for room. The passenger seat didn't have those options and my head stuck into the sunroof.
Ya I don't have to worry about that.

How is it driving at any distance? Do the seats suck?

Id rock a dizzle one. I hate the Grand Cherokees got the newer crappy MB diesel. The I-6 in grandmas car is AWESOME.
I like the look of the wk's and I've seen some pretty pimp ones done up.

Melissa likes her XJ a lot and doesn't want to get rid of it until it dies and wants to replace it with something like it. I like little diesels and the potential they seem to have with power and mileage. Not going to pull a car trailer but a camper/boat with ease where the xj doesnt loke it.

They seem to be easy to solid axle to but I do t care about that.

We have driven ours to Chicago and to fort Myers,Florida and it wasn't terrible. It's not a big SUV, but there is room for a lot of stuff. To give you a perspective in size, a 4 door jk has more storage and seating space.

No issues there. I've got some back issues and the seats support me very well. The only issue with hers and driving distances is that we didn't get cruise control. I'll never make that mistake again.