Club Jeep GPW Restoratoin Project

I was contacted by Gary Byrd today about a possible Club project that I thought some of you may be interested in. He will be coming to the October 15 meeting at Flight Deck to discuss the details but here is the general idea.

As per our conversation of a few minutes ago, I am writing to restate my proposal. The South Carolina Historic Aviation Foundation (SCHAF), a non-profit 501-c 3 organization is requesting your club's assistance in restoring a 1942 Ford GPW, a WWll jeep. The foundation wishes to have a WWll jeep for it's collection and for the purpose of transporting WWll veterans at parades such as the upcoming Veterans day parade in Columbia and WWll veteran reunion events such as the reunion of the 485th Bomb Group being held in Columbia in November. We are in the process of establishing a collection of WWll artifacts with a special interest in aviation related items. Since the WWll Jeep was everywhere during the war, especially at every WWll bomber base, it would be a great addition to compliment our B-25 Mitchell Medium Bomber we have already acquired to begin our collection and our planned South Carolina Aviation and Aerospace Museum.

I have acquired a 1942 GPW suitable for restoration and a 1947 CJ2 for parts. What I am proposing to you and your club is that your club take on the restoration of the Jeep as a club project in conjunction with SCHAF, providing your expertise with Jeeps and labor in the restoration project. Parts will be paid for by either myself or the foundation.

In addition all club members who work on the project will be provided a thank you letter from the foundation that can be used as an in-kind charitable contribution to the foundation and will, as such, be tax deductible. A cash value will be attached to each person's letter based on that person's labor contribution.

As stated, I'll be glad to meet with your group and discuss this proposal with them at your next monthly meeting, Oct. 15th, Monday 7 PM at The Flight Deck Restaurant. Incidentally, the owner of that restaurant, Ted Stambolitis, is a Foundation member and some of our literature can be found there.

I look forward to the opportunity of addressing your club and hopefully getting them involved in this worth while project and our S C Historic Aviation Foundation (SCHAF).
He will be there to talk at the next meeting, but what do yall think?

I had talked to miller asking about insurance and using his shop. Havent talked to him again, he said he was going to check. Guess I need to mention it to him again. Dan, you want to give him a call?