CB handheld; or not

I do not have a CB, and have never used one. I don't plan on leaving it in my jeep. What suggestions can I get from others? Would rather put money toward other mods, but don't want to throw money away on crap. thanks for any input :)

Jackie

With the cobra 75 you install a small box say inder the seat and you plug the mic in to it and the mic has all the controls on it, so you could unplug it and remove it when you don't want it in the jeep.

Or you could get a cobra 19 or similar small cheap radio and just have it mount on a ram mount or other quick release mount with a plug on the power wires and you could remove it. What is your budget for the whole cb project? That will tell you what you can do. To be honest most all cbs no matter the price will work for what we do as long as you have a decent sized antenna on it and have it tuned.

My Walmart Midland CB has lasted a decade for $40. Been through about ten antennas though from breaking. Never tuned a single one and have not had any CB issues but its a fact that its all in the antenna placement and tune.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have two cobra 75s, one in the tow rig and one in the Sami. They work well. The only complaint I have is the cords have pulled out of the handhelds, most likely because of the way I roll them up when storing. I'll get Tripp to fix the wires and stress relieve them. I'll most likely get another box and swap one of the handhelds to the Yukon when I need it.

I have a DIY vaulted center console. The 28LTD is mounted in the console, the mic wire is extended to a quick connect through the console at the base, and my external speaker plug is wired to the audio input on my head unit. I set the channel, close the console, plug in the mic, set the stereo to auxiliary, and wheel on!
uploadfromtaptalk1400989413844.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1400989448188.jpg

Thanks for the info. Used to have a couple of boxes of CB's and mic's, as I was upgrading from one to another over time. Got rid of them years ago, darn it. I agree with Brooks, the local Pilot truck stop has some good sales going on and a "decent" selection to choose from. My search right now is trying to figure out where to put one on my '14 Unlimited. Does anyone have feedback on mounting high on a rail or down low on the console in front of the shifter? Second question, is there a good spot to bring the cable though the firewall from up front? Thanks for the help. P.S. I want to keep it between $150 and $200.

Google "JK cb mount", Jk cb install" "Jk cb antenna". I made a bracket for my 29LTD Cobra to hang off the passenger side of the center console, beside the passenger's left calf. I didn't want mine up high or on top of the dash, etc.

Google "JK cb mount", Jk cb install" "Jk cb antenna". I made a bracket for my 29LTD Cobra to hang off the passenger side of the center console, beside the passenger's left calf. I didn't want mine up high or on top of the dash, etc.
Thank you Shilosho, I have preferred mine down low. Did you bring your antennae wire in from up front or the back?

I just ran my antenna wire under carpet, under the rear seats and took the easy way out and just ran it out the corner of the tail gate door jamb and routed it inside the rear bumper and up thru a hole drilled below my left tail light.

I put a cigarette lighter adapter on mine to make it easy to take in and out of the jeep like op wants to do...radio shack for that. I took it out for a while but I leave it in now. People won't steal it bc it doesn't have mp3 haha