Buying a Jeep CJ

A guy at work is thinking about buying a CJ here pretty soon. Wants a little project but not a complete rust bucket. What are the major things to look for when buying a CJ. Obviously rust, but where are the most important areas? What else should he look for?

Also if any of y'all know someone who is selling there CJ let me know and i'll contact him.

Depends on the year of the CJ and the make. you have pretty much two groups. The early CJs 45-71 CJ2a, 3a, 3b and 5. They share pretty much the same drivetrains. The stock steering is not that condusive to big lifts. Smaller brakes. 71-75 CJ5 is the middle of early and later, some things are kind of like the earlys and the newer stuff is starting to get installed. And later 76-86 CJ5 and 7. CJs i find have more character but then again i am biased. They can be made to be reliable. The early stuff really is realiable, but usually when you get one if it is a project it will take a bit of work to get it back to shape. The later CJs had some trannies that just are not robust. Rust can be a big issue because they all do, it is just up to the buyer if he has the wallet or skills to fix. Early jeeps have a rougher suspension and can be a bit rough if you are not used to the ride. Newer springs can help. The later ones have power steering and power brakes. The early ones can be upgraded. It takes alot of love to own a CJ, but they are just real fun... and the devil at the same time.

If it is a 76 - 86, it will likely have the Model 20 rear end. The weak link there is the 2 piece axle design. Upgrades to a 1 piece design are fairly cheap and easy to do. I would definitely make that mod, even if it will be a mall crawler.

81-86 for comfort and drivability in my opinion. The trannies do suck though and 5th gear is as useless as tits on a bull. The wide trac axles make all the difference in the world to me.

Just tell him he doesn't really want a CJ.....especially if he wants a jeep because he likes your jeep and the idea of "having a jeep."
I had a '76 CJ7 and wouldn't go back

Just tell him he doesn't really want a CJ.....especially if he wants a jeep because he likes your jeep and the idea of "having a jeep."
I had a '76 CJ7 and wouldn't go back
He doesn't want a jeep because of me. He's an old millitary guy (65) so he is pretty set on a CJ. And he's looking at CJ5's and 7's. Any years for the most part. But thanks for all the replies and info i'll relay it onto him.