BRP closed for 20 miles near MT Mitchell

here is an update to the story they ran earlier this month. Evidently its getting worse.

http://www.wistv.com/story/22901975/crack-expanding-on-blue-ridge-parkway

BUNCOMBE COUNTY, NC (WYFF) - What started as a small crack on the Blue Ridge Parkway just north of Asheville is getting bigger.

When it was first noticed July 12, the crack was about 150 feet long and four inches wide. Now it's more than 200 feet long and six inches wide.

The crack has closed a 20-mile stretch on the Blue Ridge Parkway, starting on Ox Creek Road and ending on Mount Mitchell State Park.

Mountain Meadows and scenic overlooks are what bring people from all over the country to the parkway year after year, and the closure is disappointing to visitors.

"I'm just broken-hearted to see this huge crack and I hope they can get it fixed real soon because I know they need the business," said Maggie Schlubach.

The Parkway Chief of Maintenance and Engineering, Mike Molling told News 4 it was moisture, resulting from days of heavy rain that caused the crack.

More rain could make it worse.

Schlubach said she can't believe how much the crack has expanded in the last couple of days.

"It's so big and it's so long and I just can't imagine what's going on down there," said Schlubach.

Engineers said there's a slope failure causing the northbound lane to drop.

The Federal Highway Administration has assessed the damage, and has developed a pavement rehabilitation plan to fix the problem.

In the meantime, drivers are being detoured from Asheville to Mount Mitchell using Interstate 40 and U.S. 221.

Jim Dalton, who frequents the parkway said he hopes the crack doesn't keep people from visiting this summer.

The parkway is integral to our economy in Asheville," said Dalton.

Molling said the goal is to have at least one lane open by Labor Day. That temporary repair should get the parkway through its busiest season. He said permanent repairs will likely began this fall, and finish in early spring.

22901975_BG1.jpg