Blizzard of '17

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Everybody got your milk and bread?

I am going to try to get the hard top on the jeep this week, mainly because I don't want to drive the truck if they salt the roads. Anybody else preparing?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Supposed to be a storm forming in the Gulf of Mexico coming north east hitting artic air mass moving southeast. Models vary, but could be snow/sleet/ice from GA to NC

Just preparing my menu. Normally we do our grocery shopping over the weekend, but I think people are about to go nuts here. Also going to gas up everything beforehand. Also going to dig up some left over freeze dried food from this summer and throw it in the back.

My concern here in Atlanta isn't the actual weather, its all of the people. You get one Chevy Impala sideways on 10th st, and all of midtown is SCREWED. Getting stuck on the road for 36 hours can and has happened here.

Assuming it doesn't come early and everyone can get home fine on Friday night, we should have some solid snow Saturday morning. Already some buddies and I are going to go cruise up in the mountains. I did that last year, it was cool.

24556278956_d96b433219.jpg 4 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

24500186831_fc09637de2.jpg 13 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

24500192381_1ddb70f1ce.jpg 12 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

24582486035_a2f0a4e2a5.jpg 11 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

24287005140_a3e8d375d1.jpg 6 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'd like to head up towards the mountains but just can't risk getting stranded with the little ones. Hoping we'll get a few inches at home.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm more excited about going to tampa than getting winter weather. I just hope it doesn't interfere with driving down on Sunday.
My cousin and her family are at Disney this week so she decided to extend her trip. Just has to figure out how to get her tickets because they're being shipped to her house.

However in all honesty, she should be able to call the box office and have the old ones canceled and new ones printed as long as she was the original purchaser.

My cousin and her family are at Disney this week so she decided to extend her trip. Just has to figure out how to get her tickets because they're being shipped to her house.
They will do an electronic ticket that you print out to use for the game and mail the hard copies next week to keep in good condition and save as collectors items.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
They will do an electronic ticket that you print out to use for the game and mail the hard copies next week to keep in good condition and save as collectors items.
Is that from the university ticket office or stubhub? I think it was IPTAY tickets that were the concern then she was trying to get 1 more.

Since it appears that there will be no snow to speak of around here, Zach and I are hitting the road tomorrow morning heading north. No telling where we will end up. We may just drive up to where there is the 3 - 5" those TV weathermen keep talking about.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We had a dusting on the decks and trees. Nothing on the grass. We built an 1' snowman. He's melting...

20170107_153220_zpstcn283gn.jpg

Last edited:
We had to drive to Greenville to see real snow. Once we got above I -185 there was snow everywhere and the roads were decently covered. We didn't really have a plan, so we decided to see if Jones Gap was open. In hindsight, probably could've figured that it wouldn't be. Stopped outside the gate, goofed around by the river and then started heading back as the most amazing blue sky appeared. And we made a tiny snowman. The snow was so dry it would not stick together to roll into a big ball.....

Traveling companion

20170107_114519_1.jpg

Another tiny snowman

20170107_121402.jpg

Middle Fork of the Saluda River

20170107_121958.jpg

Obligatory Jeep pic

20170107_122005.jpg

We had a touch in northern GA. Atlanta went NUTS on Friday. Nothing happened except a bunch of rain. In the morning, only the shaded spots had ice.

I went up to the GA mountains and played around. It was fun, but for the most part, the trucks broke through the snow and to the mud. It was more like a very cold day of wheeling. I got one of my hub lockouts covered in mud, the mud then froze. I had to chisel it away to unlock for the ride home.

There is black ice on my back porch were water came from the downspout. That is fun.