Best place to get supplies to make battery cables?

Do you mean the straps or the heavy gauge cables?

If your doing anything with the terminals, I would replace them entirely. I prefer the "Car Audio" style replacements as they have better retention than the "parts store" Universals.
Something similar to this.
71smtdfvej.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Link-BTN1-Neg...1392733654&sr=8-11&keywords=battery+terminals

You will also find a good selection of heavy gauge wire at your local Car Audio Shop. Just be careful, they have some powerful marketing strategies that make people think $3 a foot cable should be sold for $7-12. They will also have the proper terminals for the size wire you may need.

Last edited:
I went to airgas and bought 2 gauge welding cable. Very flexible and the small strands are more can draw more Amps especially if you using a winch or something big. I think it was $1.50 / ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean the straps or the heavy gauge cables?

If your doing anything with the terminals, I would replace them entirely. I prefer the "Car Audio" style replacements as they have better retention than the "parts store" Universals.
Something similar to this.
71smtdfvej.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Link-BTN1-Neg...1392733654&sr=8-11&keywords=battery+terminals

You will also find a good selection of heavy gauge wire at your local Car Audio Shop. Just be careful, they have some powerful marketing strategies that make people think $3 a foot cable should be sold for $7-12. They will also have the proper terminals for the size wire you may need.
Yes, I need to replace the whole ground set first. I did see the ones that you are showing I was wandering if I would need to solder the ends of the stranded cable so the set screw would have a firm spot to tighten to? I was thinking about the military type that NAPA sales.

Last edited:
no, no need to solder, that set screw does a pretty good job clamping down on the cable. Unless you have the correct crimper your going to run into poor connections with crimp on terminals.

I'm with TW
You need to crimp&heat shrink cables &wiring as much as possible.
I use nothing but solder lugs on battery cables, but that's just me. I run into lots of harsh conditions with the job, so solder is the way to go in that case.
Normal use on vehicles , a crimp is fine.

Food for thought. Go to you pull it and Mercedes and I think BMW's had batteries in the truck. That is a lot of wire to reach the starter. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like milspec/ordinance battery terminals, you can get them from napa. I like to use solder slugs with the lugs too. Welding cable is good for flexibility.

IMG_00000224.jpg