4.0 Timing Chain...Replacement?

My friend's Dad has a '02 TJ with the 4.0 and asked me if he needed to ever change the timing chain.....I told him I hadn't heard of anyone doing that. He first referred to the 'timing belt'. I told him it wasn't like his Honda.

I figured I would run it by the group here......any stories of needing to replace? He probably has 160k miles or so

from what I always heard they will go to 300k on 4.0s, but if you have a rattling from the front of your motor yours may be stretched and its time to replace. Mine has 203k miles on it.

from the interwebz

Timing chains should be replaced:
1) When stretch is beyond acceptable limits.
2) Whenever you're pulling them out anyhow (typically for a cam replacement.)

Timing chain stretch should be checked every 100Kmiles. Either:

Open - Using a straightedge, there should be not more than 1/4" of total deflection in either long span of the chain.

Closed - Remove the distributor cap, grab a Sharpie(r) and a 3/4" socket and large socket wrench. Turn the engine slighly in one direction by the crank nose (doesn't matter which way) to make sure all of the slack is out of the chain. Mark the harmonic damper at a convenient point on the timing scale (more than ten degrees from both ends,) and mark the distributor housing where one edge of the rotor terminal would intersect it.
- Turn the engine in the other direction until the rotor just begins to move. Stop. Note how far you've turned the crankshaft.
Five degrees or less - Ideal.
Ten to fifteen degrees - plan on changing the timing chain soon.
Fifteen degrees or more - change the timing set now.