Metalcloak 3.5" dual rate springs
Metalcloak bumpstop kit
Metalcloak rear trackbar
OME Nitrocharger shocks
Wheel spacers if needed
New front brake lines
CV rear driveshaft
315/75R16 KM3s

I'll be posting up requests for recommendations.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've seen some negative reviews of the Metalcloak springs. They have a lot of coil winds and apparently limit up travel with fully compressing the spring. LJ people tend to like the Currie/Savvy ones better.

Also, no need to spend the money on the adjustable bump stop kit. I have a bag of hockey pucks and you can drill and tap the spring pad for a bolt and use however many pucks you need. For the rear, you need a spacer between the frame and bump stop cup.

Everything else I agree with :D

I edited the original post. Going up a size. Metric 35's. 315/75 so that I can use my existing rims.

Thanks for the feedback on the springs. What are the opinions on dual rate vs regular springs? The idea sounds good, but I've been happy with my OME springs. They do make a 4" version.

Lastly what brand of chromo's do y'all recommend?

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I edited the original post. Going up a size. Metric 35's. 315/75 so that I can use my existing rims.

Thanks for the feedback on the springs. What are the opinions on dual rate vs regular springs? The idea sounds good, but I've been happy with my OME springs. They do make a 4" version.

If you're not in a huge hurry I'd wait until Thanksgiving / Black Friday and see what goes on sale. I'm running Ten Factory.

any reason why you dont want to keep the OME 2" with the Body lift? thats a good setup for 35s really.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
any reason why you dont want to keep the OME 2" with the Body lift? thats a good setup for 35s really.
Or put a small spring spacer on top of the OME springs. Mine is the same springs you have with a 3/4 spacer on front, and my body lift is 1" not 1.25".

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Actually... I change my statement of I agree with everything else.

I don't know what front lowers you have or the condition, but I would consider saving your money on new springs and the bump stop kit, sell the Curries and go ahead and add a set of front MetalCloak lowers to your order. I feel like the greatest benefit of those joints would be felt from the front lowers. You could also swap the Curries to the rear and put new metalcloak in the front...

Swapping the metalcloaks to the front is a really good idea. The Curries are in good shape, but putting new stuff with a better design on the front just makes sense. I can always replace them later.

Update - Going to start out beefing up the driveline, hopefully before Uwharrie. Just order the front axle shafts, new Timken unit bearings and the ZJ steering upgrade to boot.

After talking to Larry some more and really looking at his set up - just the suspension, not the excellent engine swap - I'm going to try out the low COG set up like his. His obviously works well and as a side benefit I'll have less cost in it for now. If I really want to I can add springs, driveshaft, etc later.

Front end completed. We'll see how much I get done tonight. Looks like I gained more than the 3/4". I think it is because the longer lowers put the springs in a more vertical position. Regardless, I like it!
20200125_160924.jpg

Even though it has a mini sissy squat, I took a test drive. It handles just like before up to 65 or so. On to the rear....

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Front end completed. We'll see how much I get done tonight. Looks like I gained more than the 3/4". I think it is because the longer lowers put the springs in a more vertical position. Regardless, I like it!
View attachment 19288

Even though it has a mini sissy squat, I took a test drive. It handles just like before up to 65 or so. On to the rear....
Looks good!

Got all the arms installed. Found where one shock had been hitting the coil bucket and clearanced it. Then I found that the other shock was going to be hitting its coil bucket, so I clearanced it. And serviced up the parking brake cable, etc.

I have her sitting back on all 4 wheels. The pinion angle is off, but everything else looks good. Getting that squared away is tomorrow's task.

20200201_171749.jpg

Done. No vibes up to 70ish. I'm happy with how it turned out. Looking at the picture, the rear axle is more centered than it looks here. I'll post a better picture tomorrow.

20200202_173230.jpg