Brake Caliper Conundrum

I picked mine up at Advanced auto in the Brake portion of the Help parts section. I can only assume that the other chain stores would have them there as well.

I just open mine and let them gravity bleed by myself. When I bought my 2500 Dodge master cylinder they had a set of those speed bleeders included. I have never opened it. It may be something completely different than what yall are talking about though but I would have given them to ya Brooks.

Let us know how that works. I'll give it a shot as well. Mine that's been acting up is the farthest from the P valve. Having trapped air in the caliper makes sense.

you sure the fluid is CLEAN? seems like an internal/plumbing/debris issue to me...not an external/caliper pin issue. Is the caliper and caliper bracket (where the two surfaces meet) smooth and free of burrs?

Whether in the shop, or in the pits, this is all that I have ever used to bleed brakes: Brake Bleeder Bottle You will need two.

I wonder if heat is causing the pistons to warp in these old calipers?

Before you go pulling the caliper apart, open the bleeder screw and see if you can't press the piston back in with a C-clamp. If it's the piston seizing in the bore, you should have a heck of a time pressing it back in.

When you do decide that it's time to pull that bad boy out, pop out that piston and inspect it, as well as the piston bore. BTW, for safety's sake, place a piece of wood where the brake pads live before you put shop air to the bleeder hole to remove the piston. Do this very slowly, you would be surprised at how fast the piston will want to eject from its home. It scared the crap out of me the very first time I did this.

ok, so I didnt replace the caliper before my trip, I brought it with me and tried something. I think my problem with these calipers is purely in lubrication of the slide pins. I lubed them when I installed them last spring but havent hit them again...well I lubed them up before the trip and they are good as new. I think mud and me washing the jeep was cleaning all the grease off and making the slides dry so that they could not open back up. They seem fine now.

What tipped me off was that I was able to just pry the caliper open after moving it a bit so it wasnt the piston stuck in the caliper just the caliper stuck on the slides.

ok, so I didnt replace the caliper before my trip, I brought it with me and tried something. I think my problem with these calipers is purely in lubrication of the slide pins. I lubed them when I installed them last spring but havent hit them again...well I lubed them up before the trip and they are good as new. I think mud and me washing the jeep was cleaning all the grease off and making the slides dry so that they could not open back up. They seem fine now.

What tipped me off was that I was able to just pry the caliper open after moving it a bit so it wasnt the piston stuck in the caliper just the caliper stuck on the slides.
Genius. Fixed mine as well. My pins were so seized up I had to pop them out with a punch. :eeek:
The overheating periods also caused the rubber grommets in the caliper to melt to the slider. I had to take a grinder to mine to remove all the melted rubber and gunk buildup from the metal slides. Looks like something I'll check before every trip. Good find.

soooo...i went to go install the speed bleeders in my caliper...wrong ones... their spec sheet says that a jeep caliper for a grand wagoneer is a 3/8" 24 pitch... well its not, its courser than that.... so now I have 2 SB3824 speed bleeders if anyone is interested