Lexus rear axle

Hey guys. I've been wheeling my Lexus GX 470 on a few trips now and she did great until I broke the rear ring and pinion. So it's decision time. Do I fix it back stock and take it a little easier on her or upgrade the axle? Keeeping in mind the old gears had 210k miles on them and never been serviced.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What are the options for upgrades. Is there a decent upgrade that won't break the bank?

We didnt see when you broke, so dont really know how hard you were beating it. I've been impressed with how much abuse it took previously.

What are the options for upgrades. Is there a decent upgrade that won't break the bank?

We didnt see when you broke, so dont really know how hard you were beating it. I've been impressed with how much abuse it took previously.
There is some good upgrades but none of them are cheap. Jim suggested an 8.2 from a 2010 FJ cruiser. Haven't found one yet except East Coast Gear. About $3500. But I'm really starting to lean towards not bashing on so much and maybe build another rig later that can be trailered. Don't want to buy a tow rig for the Lexus.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
There is some good upgrades but none of them are cheap. Jim suggested an 8.2 from a 2010 FJ cruiser. Haven't found one yet except East Coast Gear. About $3500. But I'm really starting to lean towards not bashing on so much and maybe build another rig later that can be trailered. Don't want to buy a tow rig for the Lexus.
I remember Jim saying something about the next generation 8.2 was basically a bolt in. Sounds like if you could find one of those for a reasonable price, get it, change the oil, and run it.

How bad is the stock diff? Just replace gears or carrier, bearings, etc? Paying someone to set up the new gears?

I remember Jim saying something about the next generation 8.2 was basically a bolt in. Sounds like if you could find one of those for a reasonable price, get it, change the oil, and run it.

How bad is the stock diff? Just replace gears or carrier, bearings, etc? Paying someone to set up the new gears?
Well I don't how bad it is and haven't got a price yet. I think I need to do some more research before making a decision. I hate research!

Well I don't how bad it is and haven't got a price yet. I think I need to do some more research before making a decision. I hate research!
Is it an 8" stock? If it is, they are a pretty small axle for such a big truck. I think if you plan to wheel it an upgrade is warranted.

Is it an 8" stock? If it is, they are a pretty small axle for such a big truck. I think if you plan to wheel it an upgrade is warranted.
Yep it's an 8" and the more I read they're ok for light and moderate trails. So the question is what do I want to do with it. Given the fact that my wife is not real fond of the tough trails but loves the camping stuff I might keep it as a overland type rig. But I don't want to miss out on some of the trips. Upgrading the axle and building this trailer will go over my off-road budget for the year and it's only January. Lol!

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yep it's an 8" and the more I read they're ok for light and moderate trails. So the question is what do I want to do with it. Given the fact that my wife is not real fond of the tough trails but loves the camping stuff I might keep it as a overland type rig. But I don't want to miss out on some of the trips. Upgrading the axle and building this trailer will go over my off-road budget for the year and it's only January. Lol!
You need to tear it down and see what all is broke. If you just need a gear set then replace and carry on. But if you've got broken carrier damaged housing, etc, you might come out better (or just a little more) to replace.

You need to tear it down and see what all is broke. If you just need a gear set then replace and carry on. But if you've got broken carrier damaged housing, etc, you might come out better (or just a little more) to replace.
Good point! So since it's a third member I could take it out have the gears installed and put it back in. Am I right? Never been in to a Toyota axle.

So got a email from ECG. They recommend replacing the third with one of there’s. Still waiting on a quote but it has a 15 year warranty. That’s sounds hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk