Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of OffroadSC.com

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC

Future of OffroadSC.com

Merry Christmas Yall,

Its been an interesting few years recently in my personal life. At home I try to spend as much time as I can with my daughter and at work I have taken on a lot more in my position with the South Carolina Design-Build Office. I know many of you have gotten married, divorced, had kids, grandchildren, etc in the last few years so you all know how busy we all are. I haven't had or made the time needed to post often or update threads as much as I used to before kids and real world work. This has been a volunteer position for me and it has been moved to the backburner. As a result the traffic and discussion on this site has fallen off. There are still hundreds of visitors each day, but not as many posts begin made. Lets face it, other forms of social media are faster and easier. What forums have allowed us to do is document things, research, and come back to things. I have recently been asked a tough question, and I'm seeing what you guys think. The site needs upgrades badly, and the company that hosts it is looking to go to a XenForo. The new forum software automatically works on a smartphone and requires not external app to view via a handheld device. It is optimized for mobile browsing and posting. The holdup though is that this requires a signicant chunk of cash and they do not see a need to continue this forum as it is only Local discussions occurring.

There are a few options on the table, and I'm looking to hear from you guys what we should do.

1. Migrate to XenForo and somehow boost traffic
    2. Have an external company buy the database and host as needed.
    3. Shut it down and just keep a facebook page for discussion.

Soooo....Lets hear it.
    --Brooks

City
    Columbia
    State
    SC
    I’m not on Facebook, but this place is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Crashalot

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Don't everyone speak at once...

I've always thought it was odd that offroadsc didnt have more traffic, and in the past year or so it has been dead. NC4x4 has been around longer, but is always busy. Seems like what little traffic there was died off even more with that little database incident...

It's nice to have a place to document long running projects. I know Dan and a couple others keep up on NC4x4 too, and I may do the same. I just cant stand how facebook is the same questions being asked over and over, because it's too difficult or impossible to search for previously answered questions.

There are people that dont do facebook, but it doesnt look like they frequent here much anymore either. Email seems to be the best way to get club communication out.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    We're still going to Harlan in April, right?
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    We're still going to Harlan in April, right?
    Thats the plan, I'm working with Cole and Stacey on finalizing the graphics for the event. As soon as I get them in hand we will go live.
    --Brooks

City
    Aiken
    State
    SC
    Well those of you that know me know that I don’t do Facebook much. I have a Facebook page but that’s just to keep up with what’s going on in MCJ. As for OffroadSC there’s not a day that I don’t check it out to see what’s going on and if I can add to a conversation I will. And I would hate to see it go away and I would also hate to lose access to all of the information on it.

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    I'd hate to see it gone, however it doesn't get the used as it once did. Let's face it, when the new wore off it became what USJEEPS once was. And with social media what it is, it definitely hurts the site. A few guys who kept the chatter have left or been dormant so that hurts it as well. Were getting old guys....

I know how you feel Brook's. In the past two years I have grown my client base and upped my work load significantly. Between that and now being married, I don't really use any forums anymore.

What is the cost of the site currently? Will the content move to the XenForo format smoothly, or will a lot of stuff go missing?

I hate Facebook, if it weren't for the classifieds/buy-sell groups, I wouldn't have one. So i don't really need other things to put me there.

Whatever the choice, I will continue to support the site in any way possible. I think it is a good outlet for everyone to learn and document their builds. Also the April ride is something most everyone looks forward to. Hell, thats the only time I go wheeling anymore. I bought a damn RZR just so I wouldn't miss it.
    Last edited by matth_85; 12-13-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Harvard

City
    Spartanburg
    State
    SC
    I am not here very much as I don’t do much 1:1 wheeling anymore. I mainly catch the RC stuff when I can. The RC4WD side has kept me super busy on top of working 60 hours a week. But, I think it is a good place to gather as some don’t have Facebook and the drama that comes with it.

I would kick in a few bucks to be a “supporting member” like on other sites to offset some operating costs.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003EDGE View Post
    I am not here very much as I don’t do much 1:1 wheeling anymore. I mainly catch the RC stuff when I can. The RC4WD side has kept me super busy on top of working 60 hours a week. But, I think it is a good place to gather as some don’t have Facebook and the drama that comes with it.

I would kick in a few bucks to be a “supporting member” like on other sites to offset some operating costs.
    $20 annual supporter membership has always been an option here. Brooks, how many recurring members do you have?
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Blythewood
    State
    SC
    I think we can get some more traffic going with the move to a new format. Do that and get our club site finished by integrating the forum could help a lot with traffic. I know it's confusing to new members when we have two Facebook pages and a forum. If our site forum was centralized it would make things easier. Just have to get with Tripp to finish it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast