Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventures a la Road - SC to Key West 2018 Roadtrip

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC

Adventures a la Road - SC to Key West 2018 Roadtrip

So this has been about 6 months in the making. We have planned out many of the details and enjoyed reading other reports and stories of similar trips. Emily and I leave out Friday toward Key West, FL. We plan to take the interstate for much of the travels, but have a number of backroad stops along the way. I'll be doing my best to post some updates along the way as we have time. The Timeline looks like this:

Friday: Chapin,SC to Savannah, GA
    Saturday: Savannah to Port Canaveral, FL
    Sunday: Port Canaveral to Key Largo, FL
    Monday: Key Largo to Key West
    Tuesday: Key West
    Wednesday: Key West to Marathon, FL
    Thursday: Marathon to Sebring, FL
    Friday: Sebring to Chassahowitzka, FL
    Saturday: Chassahowitzka to Fernandina Beach, FL
    Sunday: Fernandina Beach to Edisto Beach, SC
    Monday: Edisto Beach to Chapin, SC.

Hoping to see some cool sites and explore the areas. We have booked sites for most of the nights and are visiting friends along the way.

If anyone has any awesome spots we should check out that are not your typical tourist trap spots I would love to hear about them.

We are planning to at least travel through part of Ocala one day, but I havent nailed down the details. There are some great backcountry campsites in FL, but all of them require a vehicle inspection and $100 permit from what I can tell.

Let the packing commence!
    --Brooks

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Nice! The Keys are an amazing place. You'll have a blast. Stop at a marina or two where some of the giant tarpon hang out under the docks and you can throw food at them. It's a trip to see those huge fish. Also, Hemingway's house is pretty neat.

Also, don't expect to see beaches in the Keys. There's only one natural one, I think (Emily's beach or something like that?).

City
    Blythewood
    State
    SC
    Jealous. Picking up my camper this Friday but definitely want to do a similar trip with my dad in the future.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cj104 View Post
    Nice! The Keys are an amazing place. You'll have a blast. Stop at a marina or two where some of the giant tarpon hang out under the docks and you can throw food at them. It's a trip to see those huge fish. Also, Hemingway's house is pretty neat.

Also, don't expect to see beaches in the Keys. There's only one natural one, I think (Emily's beach or something like that?).
    We are planning to stop at Robbies to feed the Tarpons, and we are camping at John Pennecamp Coral Reef State park in Key Largo to see some beaches. There are a few down there, but you are right about it being harder to find than you would think.

Here is a link to the proposed route.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zM...jX&usp=sharing
    --Brooks

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Jealous. Picking up my camper this Friday but definitely want to do a similar trip with my dad in the future.
    Emily is turning 30, so we had been discussing this one for a while. Its crazy that its almost here.
    --Brooks

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    Go check out Little Havana in Miami. Amazing food, drinks, atmosphere.
    Harvard

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by matth_85 View Post
    Go check out Little Havana in Miami. Amazing food, drinks, atmosphere.
    Thanks, we had done a bit of research on little havana, do you have any restaurant suggestions?
    --Brooks

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    I'll ask shannon the name of the place we are at. Delicious food. Mojito's had sugar cane as the stirrer and fresh coconut milk. Very good.
    Harvard

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Havenít really had a moment to just sit still and record the trip. We hit the road Friday and made it to camp in savannah, Ga. we hit the town for drinks and dinner on the riverfront.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Brooks

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    If you are going to Sebring, i would suggest maybe changing your camping location to the Avon Park Bombing Range. It is a military facility with a nice recreation area. Lots of dirts trails and areas to explore. We used to camp there every year with my old club down there. It was a great place to camp. It is not that far north of Sebring

http://avonparkafr.net/public-recreation-schedule.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast