Chevy dana 44 front

I'm in no rush at all here. Just slowly gathering parts for a possible winter project, but I have been planning to put the Jeepster on D44s front and rear for years - as much for the added width as for the added strength. I will be using an Isuzu D44 rear because the track width is right for me, they come with disc brakes, and I can get it already geared at 4.30:1. I intend to use a Chevy D44 front and cut the long side down to match waggy width so I can use stock waggoneer shafts. I can't use a Wagoneer front axle because the pumpkin is in the way of where my springs need to mount.

So if anyone has a spare chevy axle housing around that they don't need please let me know. I don't necessarily need a carrier (going to put ARB in it with gears to match rear), and I don't necessarily need the long side axle shaft. While I am looking for a deal, I am happy to pay something for it.

Thanks

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I don't have one any more, but just a suggestion to broaden your search. Would a J10 front work for you? The distance from pumpkin to C on the short side is like 6" longer I think.

if he would have an issue using a 79-down waggy axle then the j-truck would pose the same problem I would imagine, even though its wider. The mounting width is the same.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
if he would have an issue using a 79-down waggy axle then the j-truck would pose the same problem I would imagine, even though its wider. The mounting width is the same.
Oh yeah, the leaf pad is cast into the pumpkin isn't it?

Couldn't you shift it over and put a perch on the short side tube and chop the long side as needed?

The way I have it planned out will allow me to use stock chevy short side shaft and stock waggy long side shaft - no custom length axle shafts.