Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misfire Cyl. 1

City
    Aiken
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    Valve springs? How long ago did you do that and at what mileage?
    Let's see, I got the Jeep in July of 2012 and had the head rebuilt in September of 2012. Mileage was about 158 k

City
    Cayce
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    Mine is a 98 and I had this on the number 3 cylinder. I tried everything that has been suggested and it would come right back. After some research I found out that there was a bad batch of springs for the 98s. Solution was to pull the head and have it rebuilt. Did that and, knock on wood no more problems.
    There was a bad batch of valve springs from mid 1997 to early 1999 in both 4 and 6cyl engines.
    It should have been a recall with the number of vehicles it effected. Instead it's no more than a TSB. The TSB basically states that if you suffer from a recurring misfire after verifying the ignition & fuel systems are properly operating, then it is likely a week valve spring, and the head should be removed for overhaul.
    With the availability of tools today, a tech can replace the valve springs without removing the head! No need to perform the expensive overhaul, or replace the head, just replace the faulty parts!

City
    Aiken
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY View Post
    There was a bad batch of valve springs from mid 1997 to early 1999 in both 4 and 6cyl engines.
    It should have been a recall with the number of vehicles it effected. Instead it's no more than a TSB. The TSB basically states that if you suffer from a recurring misfire after verifying the ignition & fuel systems are properly operating, then it is likely a week valve spring, and the head should be removed for overhaul.
    With the availability of tools today, a tech can replace the valve springs without removing the head! No need to perform the expensive overhaul, or replace the head, just replace the faulty parts!
    But my luck is like yours sometime, I replace the first one, then another and another. This way I pulled the head took it to a shop and presto a weekend of labor and I'm back on the road.

City
    Cayce
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    But my luck is like yours sometime, I replace the first one, then another and another. This way I pulled the head took it to a shop and presto a weekend of labor and I'm back on the road.
    Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to replace one. I would always replace them all as a set. I just meant that there's no reason to do more work, or spend more money than necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12