Thread: Getting legal...

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC

Getting legal...

Since the Commando is about to be back on the road I am having to get my legal ducks in a row. I have already activated insurance on it, and now I need to get the tag squared away. It still has the old tag on it; i basically just quit paying taxes on it when I changed the insurance down to the minimum level. The last time I was at the DMV I asked about what I would need to do about the Jeep and was basically told that I would need to pay years of back taxes to get it current and receive a new tag sticker.

But, I know that if I bought a Jeep that had sat in a barn for 30 years and wanted to get it on the road I wouldn't have to pay 30 years of back taxes. So what's my best course of action here? Do I transfer the title to my wife's name and only pay 1 year of tax? Or do I have a simple option to get a new tag or to sign something saying it hasn't been on the road in however many years?

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    I'd call Columbia. They are actually helpful most of the time. The branch office employees are typically a pain.

I wouldn't think you'd have to pay more than the year owed on the tag since it was never renewed.
    Harvard

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Thanks, I called them just now.

Option A: $75 late registration + $50 failure to pay property tax + $40 registration + 7 years of taxes = registered and tagged and stickered

Option B: Transfer title to my wife's name + $40 registration + 1 year of taxes

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Look honey.. you got a jeep now :)

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    Yep, that's a no brainer.
    Harvard

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Sounds like a transfer to me. Get it on the road. I was driving my around downtown today. I forgot how much fun they are on the road.

I remember when I bought mine the lady at the DMV asked what I was doing with it and basically told me to only transfer the title. Then do the rest after it was ready to go so I didn't get hit with the late fees. Glad she was in a good mood and helpful.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by RClippa View Post
    Sounds like a transfer to me. Get it on the road. I was driving my around downtown today. I forgot how much fun they are on the road.

I remember when I bought mine the lady at the DMV asked what I was doing with it and basically told me to only transfer the title. Then do the rest after it was ready to go so I didn't get hit with the late fees. Glad she was in a good mood and helpful.
    I actually saw you cut through downtown yesterday at lunch time. I was having lunch with my dad at Smoke on the Water and saw you drive by. I was thoroughly jealous.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cj104 View Post
    I actually saw you cut through downtown yesterday at lunch time. I was having lunch with my dad at Smoke on the Water and saw you drive by. I was thoroughly jealous.
    That is really sad. I was either on my way to Smoke on the Water or on my way back to work. I had the opportunity to meet a vendor there for lunch.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Dang! Although I'm not sure I would recognize you out in public - its been so long since I've seen you, and we've probably never seen each other in "work" clothes (ie, without greasy smears). But I'd recognize your Jeepster anywhere! haha