Mini Split AC Systems

...So, I now work out of my home office/server room daily. In the summer its hotter than a $2 pistol, so i have decided to put in a mini split. The wife and i agree a window unit is not a good fit. I have some comments followed my some questions. If anyone can help.

• Im going to install it myself, it isn't that difficult and i have access to nitrogen and a vacuum pump and gauges.
  • Anybody local that would be willing to sell me the equipment and a lineset? I have only been able to get one local quote and it was 2x what i can purchase online. The rest of the vendors have been asshats.
  • Im trying to avoid drilling holes through the brick on my house, so my plan is to feed the line set down the corner of the closet in my office and out a access panel I have nearby (Coax cables for my Ham Radio Gear) They run housing linesets in walls so i shouldnt have any problems with that should i?
  • How important is name brand? I feel like there cant be that many different manufactures of these units.
  • O, Im looking for a 220v 9000BTU AC only unit.

...So, I now work out of my home office/server room daily. In the summer its hotter than a $2 pistol, so i have decided to put in a mini split. The wife and i agree a window unit is not a good fit. I have some comments followed my some questions. If anyone can help.

• Im going to install it myself, it isn't that difficult and i have access to nitrogen and a vacuum pump and gauges.
  • Anybody local that would be willing to sell me the equipment and a lineset? I have only been able to get one local quote and it was 2x what i can purchase online. The rest of the vendors have been asshats.
  • Im trying to avoid drilling holes through the brick on my house, so my plan is to feed the line set down the corner of the closet in my office and out a access panel I have nearby (Coax cables for my Ham Radio Gear) They run housing linesets in walls so i shouldnt have any problems with that should i?
  • How important is name brand? I feel like there cant be that many different manufactures of these units.
  • O, Im looking for a 220v 9000BTU AC only unit.
Call Cannonball. He is a Sales Engineer for Trane.

Just curious if you have considered a portable unit, and exhaust vented out the window?
I looked at split units, P-tack units, ect....
Our server room was blazing before we had the portable installed, and it was far cheaper than the other options.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Just curious if you have considered a portable unit, and exhaust vented out the window?
I looked at split units, P-tack units, ect....
Our server room was blazing before we had the portable installed, and it was far cheaper than the other options.
Portable takes up valuable floor space that he doesn't have much of.

Portable takes up valuable floor space that he doesn't have much of.
I understand, but what about a portable on a shelf? Ours was on a shelf 4' of the floor. Conserved space in our 6'x6' server room that also houses a battery backup for the server, the alarm system & battery, the video security system & battery, and digital telephone system. Even being of the floor it still circulated well because of the size of the room.

No to mention the problem he's having getting ahold of a loose unit. Part of that problem isn't the dealers, but the manufacturer. Most of them now days restrict a dealer from selling a loose unit unless it's wholesale to another dealer. The second issue is that the manufacturer wants the warranty papers filled by a dealer that has certified HVAC techs. I've got 2 brother in-laws in the HVAC field, and have been through some of this as one of them owns his own business.

Not saying I'm right, or it would work for him, Just a thought!

I understand, but what about a portable on a shelf? Ours was on a shelf 4' of the floor. Conserved space in our 6'x6' server room that also houses a battery backup for the server, the alarm system & battery, the video security system & battery, and digital telephone system. Even being of the floor it still circulated well because of the size of the room.

No to mention the problem he's having getting ahold of a loose unit. Part of that problem isn't the dealers, but the manufacturer. Most of them now days restrict a dealer from selling a loose unit unless it's wholesale to another dealer. The second issue is that the manufacturer wants the warranty papers filled by a dealer that has certified HVAC techs. I've got 2 brother in-laws in the HVAC field, and have been through some of this as one of them owns his own business.

Not saying I'm right, or it would work for him, Just a thought!
Yeah those are all valid points, and i have a perfectly good window unit, but all of those portable units i have seen only last a couple of years, and the wife has ok'd a proper solution. but at the prices i am getting quoted i can **** up 3 installs and still come out cheaper than having a "pro" install it.. Online units are going for ~600-800 ... The one local dealer i had quote was $1200 for just the unit and another 500$ to install... That just about buys 3 units online. Im not too concerned with warranty.... I just cant stand some dip **** telling me im not qualified to do something....Ill build one from scratch you little parts counter bitch.... rant over...

I've been looking at the online units for my shop Trip. If you go that route I will be very curios of the quality. I want to do a heat/air mini split for the shop this year.... sometime.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So, you're saying you could have it installed, warrantied, and not have to screw with it yourself for less than $2,000? I figured we were talking thousands of dollars difference here. Why are we having this discussion?

So, you're saying you could have it installed, warrantied, and not have to screw with it yourself for less than $2,000? I figured we were talking thousands of dollars difference here. Why are we having this discussion?
Because I'm cheap, and want it installed in a slightly none traditional way. And i have no faith in people doing their jobs anymore.