Rear Springs for my TJ

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This last trip to DBBB was the first trip I took my jeep on the trail in it's current setup. It now has a big toolbox in the back (where the rear seat was) and it also has the body mount tire carrier that puts the big 37" tire out off of the back. This combination has turned the rear of my jeep into a fat pig. So, the first discovery was that the shocks were bottoming out before the bumps hit. OK, that's a problem. But even if I just went and put taller bumps on it, that doesn't solve the real problem. It shouldn't be hitting the bumps/shocks that hard, that often. So I am looking for assistance on finding a stronger spring. I will fix the bump issue and replace the shocks. But the spring is the problem.

The tried going back through my orders to see what I put on there but couldn't find the order. I'm pretty sure it was a Teraflex 3.5" lift (springs and shocks). But I am not positive. Where should I start? I need to get this figured out before OSCAR.

Do I need to pull the current springs? Should they be stamped with what they are?

Advise and recommendations are appreciated.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
After talking it over with Cole, I think the rear springs are just tired. They have been on there for about 8 years. So I have ordered the same springs and shocks. Going to install those and fix the bump stop height. Test it and see where I’m at. If I need to put spacers in, I’ll do that then.

The issue I was running into is that if I wanted to go with an HD spring is that they were only available in 2” or 4” lift versions. So plan B if the first plan doesn’t work is to order the 2” HD and the spacers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ended up ordering the OME 2.5 HD springs for an LJ and it improved the weight carrying capacity of my TJ significantly, but it still rides great.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well, since this forum did not let me know there was another response, I didn't see Brooks' feedback until yesterday. When I took the jeep apart and then found that Quadratec sent me the wrong springs. So, I took the opportunity to order some HD springs. But I am not sure what Brooks is talking about with a 2.5" version. I have not been able to find a 2.5" HD spring. Cole even said there were only 2" and 4" HD springs for my jeep. So, I got the 2" OME HD spring and a 1.75" spacer. I figure I will see what it looks like at that height and use the coil-overs in the front to level it out. If it is too high, I might pull the spacer, we'll see.

Well, since this forum did not let me know there was another response, I didn't see Brooks' feedback until yesterday. When I took the jeep apart and then found that Quadratec sent me the wrong springs. So, I took the opportunity to order some HD springs. But I am not sure what Brooks is talking about with a 2.5" version. I have not been able to find a 2.5" HD spring. Cole even said there were only 2" and 4" HD springs for my jeep. So, I got the 2" OME HD spring and a 1.75" spacer. I figure I will see what it looks like at that height and use the coil-overs in the front to level it out. If it is too high, I might pull the spacer, we'll see.
the 2" HD springs for an LJ give a TJ about 2.5-3" of lift. and handle loads better.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well good, then maybe I won't need the spacer. I'll try without and see how it sits. The parts should be in on Wednesday.