Thread: Fuel injection conversions

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC

Fuel injection conversions

So I think I decided to hang onto my CJ7 and just use it as a beater. It has a weekly chore of hauling trash, so that is enough justification. I am working on some issues though, it currently has a Holley 4-barrel on the 304. It runs OK but not great. It doesn't really run well enough for my wife to drive it around which was the entire point of swapping an auto into it. I have been trying to do some tuning on the carb and its all gotten better, though I am fed up with it by now.

I have been weighing some options, 5.3L, Diesel, propane as well as the new 4-barrel TBI setups such as ez-efi or FItech.

I have ruled out propane and a 5.3l. Propane is just too much hassle. On the chevy swap, I cannot justify that for this particular Jeep.

The EFI systems are reasonably priced, and they look easy. The reviews online though are not that hot once you start digging. Anyone got experience here? I do have a little experience with the Holley Projection kit, and that ran well enough for what I am looking for I guess though its dated.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    might be easier and cheaper to put in a motor that has fuel injection native to it. I know the prices for the injection kits can be $$$.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I've heard great things about the FITech kit. There are a few guys I know from the Dacusville area that wheel with them and have nothing but positive things to say.

City
    Atlanta
    State
    GA
    I did a home brew EFI kit. If I had to do it all over again, I'd find a local tuner, see what kits he liked, install, then pay the $$$ to dyno it, and get it dialed in. That is really the best of both worlds. Yes it is pricey, but its installed...and done.

Vs the carb, the EFI is so much better overall. Cranks instantly and idles fine. No more random idle RPMs. I drive mine on the highway and I saw a +4 mpg increase in fuel efficiency.

The reason I say get a local tuner, I've been "tuning" mine for about a year now. I've been talking with others and getting ideas. Some people have good ideas, most are crap. So you end up going around in a big circle. With a tuner, you take half a day on the dyno, he dials it in, and you are done. Drive it. Unlike me, I'm still too lean at idle and have no initial power until I get to 2,000 rpm. Off road this sucks.

With the price of used EFI chevy V8s, I'd say that is probably the better route, but I can understand not wanting to fiddle with an engine swap.

Make sure you include ignition control. That is a huge variable and you can do so much to gain power.

TBI is fine for off road. Above 4,000 rpm is were multiport injection really comes into its own. However when running in sequential mode, multiport can provide a super smooth and very nice idle. If it isn't that much more, I'd go multiport. But if its like, $2k, screw it.

During install, shield and ground all of your wires. Wiring noise is a problem with EFI, and minimizing that will make your life so much easier. I get comments on how clear my signals are. Its a pain, but worth it. Shielding is cheap off of amazon, then ground one end to the chassis.

Wideband 02. Yes they are expensive, but narrow band is pretty much useless. Especially with TBI, you gotta run a bit rich at times, and narrow band won't tell you anything.

Oh and if you don't have a newer fuel tank, drop it and get it cleaned out. That'll save you a lot of headache.

You can run full rubber lines from your tank to the injectors. That is what I did. No issues. Then again I've got 120 psi lines, and only putting 15 psi through it. So that helps.

Lastly, if you aren't decent with wiring...then either up your game or get help. Nothing matters if your wiring is crap because you'll be chasing some issue on the computer that turns out to be a loose connection. Oh and spade connectors are the devil. I get random signal spikes from one that I have. Bite the bullet and get good weatherpack (I think that is what they are called??) connectors, the tools, etc and learn how to connect it all.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I have been collecting parts to build a new rig in the future, the GM 6.2/6l80 route has my attention there. That said, I really desire a "clean slate" though before I go down that path. This is why I am not really interested in doing a GM swap to this CJ. It has a fresh 727 and D300 anyways, might as well use them.

I have been reading on the Fitech. I see a lot of good things, and some bad there. At $1,000 I am fine with the price, as long as its reliable and simple to install. The $245 fuel pump seems a little pricey, I think there might be a better route for me there. I am assuming an E2000 would be a fine choice? I did recently give the CJ some new fresh aluminum fuel lines.

I would like to ditch the stock AMC ignition (all AMC wiring just sucks) and go with an HEI dizzy, though that would not take advantage of the Fitech ignition control.... I am not coming up with much on a 2-wire dizzy for AMC.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Can you not just toss a GM throttle body injection system on the AMC. Simple carb adapter, fuel, and the megasquirt. Couple hundred bucks and you can tune all you want. It won't be port injection, but since you don't want the headache of a full swap it is an option. In the end I found you could just pick up a 4.8, 4l60, and case for not much more and have a solid daily. plus the 4.8s are crazy cheap and plentiful.

City
    Atlanta
    State
    GA
    See here for some info:

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm#supply

Some good pump recommendations there.

You need to figure out how much fuel and at what PSI that system needs it at. And while that is a cool system, I have a feeling those injectors are WAY too big for your application. Injectors need to be well sized, oversized will cause issues.

Typically, TBIs only need about ~15 psi. So you need to look at the PSI vs. flow chart for the pump. Its ok to go with a little bit of a bigger pump, but not too huge. Otherwise your fuel regulator will be overwhelmed. But rule of thumb is that the E2000 is a great pump. I'm running an airtex something-something. But its for small TBI applications (aka, what I'm running). Works great. I did procure and carry a spare. Doubt I'll need it but it isn't easily procured like the E2000 is.

Plan on a fuel return line. This will make your system happy.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by RClippa View Post
    In the end I found you could just pick up a 4.8, 4l60, and case for not much more and have a solid daily.
    That is probably a better way to go, but I do not really want to go there. I have a 727 transmission that I rebuilt myself, I really would like to find out how good a job that I did. Right now it is hard to tell. If I like the motor and tranny alright when done, I do have a 23-spline Atlas and some tons to possibly swap in. That is way down the road though.

As far as sourcing a GM TBI with squirt, that really does not interest me. I like the idea of saving money for sure. However my time to screw around with these things is quite limited and I really desire something that is quick and easy so that I may move onto other things. We are after all in Jeep season right now.