Renegade CJ

I think he built the thing with the tub off. Best I can figure. Thats a 3-1/2" bolt in about a 2" space. lol It wasn't tight either.....but no surprises there.

Looking back at the before pictures I have of the front end makes me feel better about my decision to go bananas re-doing this thing. Update V6.2.99, I installed the new links Sunday and burned in all of the bungs for the steering and trac-bar. Once that is back in I will set ride-height and start on Atlas install and drive train skid. After that the rear truss needs attention which should be a weekend job.

If things go well Oscar should happen for the Renegade this year. I'd like to do a new cage before then but thats probably out of the question. I have considered trying to remove this guys welds but that just seems like too much work for the end game....I really hate to do the work to tie this cage into the frame and mount my seats to it, then just remove it later... Tub swap will be post OSCAR no question. No way do I have time to do that before then and it be done right.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Looking back at the before pictures I have of the front end makes me feel better about my decision to go bananas re-doing this thing. Update V6.2.99, I installed the new links Sunday and burned in all of the bungs for the steering and trac-bar. Once that is back in I will set ride-height and start on Atlas install and drive train skid. After that the rear truss needs attention which should be a weekend job.

If things go well Oscar should happen for the Renegade this year. I'd like to do a new cage before then but thats probably out of the question. I have considered trying to remove this guys welds but that just seems like too much work for the end game....I really hate to do the work to tie this cage into the frame and mount my seats to it, then just remove it later... Tub swap will be post OSCAR no question. No way do I have time to do that before then and it be done right.
Saw the razr for sale, so you must be feeling confident!

The further I tore into this thing the happier I am I keep tearing into it. Hope to keep this motivation this winter and see you guys in a full sized rig this spring.

Got more of the brackets cut and ground down. Also got the old shock hoops off. That was not a fun job.

Hopefully Barnes will get the shock hoops back in stock so I can get it back rolling next week.

Plan to get the rest of the frame brackets cleaned up this weekend and get all the steering finalized.

600D3649-7E13-43D9-914C-D1906FA0A33B.jpeg 520B61F9-533F-4B52-A00A-9EE9F0F7A976.jpeg

Sunday update. Got all of the crap frame brackets knocked off the frame including the shock hoops. As well as all of the frame about finished up from fixing some of the prior “fab work”. That was a task.....

Think I have the new steering where I want it, just have to get the driver side to match. When we milled the new arms the first time we missed the angle a touch so I was going to have to run the bolt upside down. Being the weirdo I am, I couldn’t live with that. So, we got the angle right but obviously the holes were a bit oblonged. In order to correct it, I’ll have these weld washers tig welded on. Should be solid!

New shock hoops will be here this week and it looks like the ride height will be almost as low as I wanted it. If I moved the power steering pump and did a little more frame work I could get another inch or so lower. Doesn’t seem worth it to do all that....hopefully it’s low enough and I don’t regret it. Also hoping I have enough up travel to go fast-ish.

0E473B2A-0577-4BFF-A46C-1E5FEDF9E61B.jpeg D7A08800-205F-4E5E-A1DD-45420482BAA5.jpeg

Got the new shock hoops mocked up. Grill is gonna get cut up a lot but they are where they need to be to not have them angled back a ton.

BDBD5A71-1DC9-4813-83C1-4B39C5549D01.jpeg

Dustin came by and did me some nice lookin final welds tonight on the shock hoops and track bar bracket.

This weekends plan is for the atlas to go in, change the oil pan, and start on a skid plate...would be super sweet if I could st least get a solid game plan for the exhaust this weekend since I will lose the following two weekends of shop time.

54DFD382-AF98-44D0-9D37-46F4A0BE1AA7.jpeg 15E2762A-996C-4C77-B48E-E36279A464CE.jpeg 8315CEAA-1EFD-48B8-A858-3D245B538483.jpeg 9F34C6C1-5F4B-48EA-949A-09E0F03EBC53.jpeg

I can't tell from that pic, is that factory frame rail at that location for the front hoop? I have seen them tear out of factory frame on a TJ. I plated mine to spread the load a little more.

Got the Atlas in today. Hopefully this is its finally resting place. It may end up having to be clocked down some or a good portion of floor pan work...

Got the trans cross member made but ran out of wire tonight. Once it’s permanent I’ll figure out the atlas support.

Plans for tomorrow are to finish the cross member, out the F-Body pan on, and game plan the skid plate and atlas mount.

87FC6193-E9DE-4619-9893-94C1C3D2F26E.jpeg 2ACE4F53-7D38-4B89-9C63-CD821FB5D170.jpeg