Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1958 Land Rover Series 1

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    I want to keep it right hand driver. since not much is "British" on it, i would like to honor the queen by keeping it RHD :)

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    I got my Steering gear last night. It is a 1978/79 Bronco box. with the reverse rotation box, i wont have an ugly box hanging out in front of the grill. I will have to modify the inner fenders a touch. It fits nice. Now to order my pieces to connect the box to the steering column

City
    Hartsville
    State
    SC
    That looks nice.....

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well since i was home and stir crazy because of this "SNOW" event we didnt have.

I shortened the steering column today and made the bracket to support the lower portion of the column.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    The steering gear is mounted. The Bronco box really fits nice. I am rally happy that the front end still looks clean without a gear box out in front of the crossmember. It hides up real nice behind the grill.

Now just waiting for some funds to free up to buy parts to attach to the column.

City
    columbia
    State
    SC
    Did you sleeve the frame where the box mounts?

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Sure Did

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    So I got some goodies today

Not pictured is the nice shiny aluminium radiator.

I also got my steering bits. Now the column is connected to the steering gear.

Next up is to mount the brake and clutch, fab the pedals. Then i will order the tie rods for the Land Cruiser and find some tires so i can swap in the axles and make it a roller again.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Here is another pic of the steering with the fender on

Now to play with some big bling

Mocking it up in the engine bay.

The radiator is a hard one to figure out. This one had the best potential. It fits in the area, but I will need to notch the mounting brackets to clear the headlight buckets and possibly i will have to try to shorten the headlight buckets to try and get some more room. I have plenty of room between the engine and the radiator, but i have an issue with the top hone connection. It is extremely close to the alternator, so close the hose is gonna contact it. I will probably have to take the radiator to a weld shop to either angle it inward so clear or i may have to put a 90 degree addition to the tube. The bottom also has a little bit of a problem because it is real close to the engine hose connection that i have to be creative with hose, or do a short section of hose and make a steel or aluminum angle tube and connect it with the short section. I do have plenty of room in the front for a big honkin electric fan. This radiator i got from Eastwood Company and it is rated for a chevy v8, so it should cool just fine for the V6 .

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I like the mounting tabs on that. Griffin radiators are always tough for me to deal with when it comes to mounts.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast