Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1958 Land Rover Series 1

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    I actually got the axles out of Greenville. The buggy jeep still a nice yard planter :)

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    It is going together nice. My arms hurt from having to hammer the edges to give it an edge. Cut off the old filler neck and put it on this tank. That as the only piece not rusted out.

City
    lexington
    State
    SC
    Nice job Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well got some Christmas garage time in today. Repaired and modified the original transmission tunnel to go over the hog of a SM465. And cut some new floorboards. One was original corroded aluminum and the other was a half assed temp floor the previous owner made up. Floors are now steel. I still need to drill the holes for the bolts on the floors. I have my location now for the Tcase shifter handles i have to make for the Dana 18.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Added some more shifters to the Rover. I had to cut off the Shifters to the Dana 18 because the could not be used in the original location. So finally got to mounting the shifters remotely. I still need to make the linkage to connect to the shift rods, but it is nice to actually think the Rig is 4wd. I am going to paint the shift knobs yellow and red like the original Rover handles.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Every post you keep adding fuel to the fire. Now I want to build one. They seem so easy to construct. It is almost like they were trying to build something that was easy to build, easy to fix, and crazy durable.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    As long as you get rid of the Lucas bits, it is going to be durable :)

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well it is 4WD now. I have the linkage figured out. I am not in love with the link between the Tcase and Shifters, but It works right now.

I didnt drill a hole through the shift rods, the Dana 18 has a notch the original shifters indexed. I ended up cutting a small piece of steel and drill and tapped a hole in it. It fits into the notch on the shift rods, and I slid over the tubing and used a bolt to hold the threaded piece in place. Locking it so i can remote the shifters

I am going to source some thinner top bolts for this, but right now there are no issues with interference. I am going to add a tack weld to bolt and tube to make sure it doesnt come off.

Then added the tab so i can connect the links to the tcase

Finished product.

Everything shifts fine, I need to drill some holes in the bolts holding the linkage to put cotter pins and add a bracket to hold the out edge of the main bolt holding the shifters to brace it better.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Accomplished a quick little job tonight. It is those little things that are not glamorous in a build, but it goes a long way for functionality. The steering wheel is large and in charge and my legs have a hard time slipping under it to get in the seat. I notched the column bracket an inch and was able to get a whole lot of room to get in and out. I did not want to get rid of the original steering wheel for a smaller one.

The offending bracket notched

The steering wheel position after. Lots of leg room and i dont even have fat legs.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by RClippa View Post
    Every post you keep adding fuel to the fire. Now I want to build one. They seem so easy to construct. It is almost like they were trying to build something that was easy to build, easy to fix, and crazy durable.
    He certainly is making it look easy.

Did you consider going with LHD? My Jeep is RHD, it works but its not very convient.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast