Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66

Thread: 1958 Land Rover Series 1

  1. #51

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    Pulled the Land Rover apart to do final welds on the frame and do body work.
    I am also addressing things I was not happy with with the build up.

    I was not happy with the rear shackles. Originally they seemed fine when i first fabbed it up, but i noticed that after the full weight was on the springs the shackle angle was too much and once i add the hard top, the shackle will hit the frame. So I ended up cutting the shackle mounts and moving them back an inch and I am pretty happy with that.

    Another issue i had was the rear body was not aligned properly with the bulkhead. You would never notice unless you looked at the body line with the doors on. The body mount brakets were a smidge off. I pulled off the brackets and i will remount the tub and redo the mounts. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and go back and re finish to make a person happy.


  2. #52

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    Well I have been busy doing stuff I HATE... Body Work.
    I sanded everything down and spent time on the fenders to repair various cracks and missing parts. Filling in the extra holes and closed up the large hole for the second lamp on the fender. It was added at some point and i do not need it.

    Fenders



    I started to put down some color. Since all of these panels are interior and not even seen much I brushed on the paint.



    I primered up the tub last night, today i made it look pretty on the inside




    Mind you this is not a "restoration", there will be flaws and what not, I want to get it back on the road/trail where it belongs.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    Started putting down primer on the bulkhead



  4. #54

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    I put down the paint on the bulkhead and some other parts. I got everything done and put back inside before the rain started.





    It is a good 5 footer rig . :)

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    Some more pieces painted for the puzzle




  6. #56

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    I finished painting the various pieces. Just finished up the entire gallon. I was running low and really did not want to have to buy another gallon and waste alot of it. They only sell spray cans and gallons of this color :(










    Started on painting the chassis. Next is to run the rear brakelines and then put the rear tub back on to make some room in the garage.


    It is starting to get serious now, I think i can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel.

  7. #57
    SUPPORTER
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Posts
    65
    Good work, it has certainly come a long way.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    Pulled the motor/gearboxes today. Put the tub back on to get more room in the garage. Final welded the motor mounts and added some extra supports for them, I did not like having plain angle iron supporting the mounts. Painted it all. Now to start reassembling everything. It is starting to become a thing . :)






    Oh and i will paint the axles. still need to weld the rear perches on. I wanted to get it together with all the weight on it before i do that.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    I need to do the exhaust on the Rover so i can continue on putting it back together. BUT I am still having a hard time making the exhaust work the way i want it to, so I decided to mount the winch and get it off the workbench. I still want to do some more bracing on the winch mount, i am not 100% about it. It is on, so i can continue on and try and figure out the exhaust.





  10. #60

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Posts
    1,347
    I got the exhaust mocked up during the hurricane. I don't really like doing exhaust work, but it has to be done.
    I got a pretty good kit from summit racing to do the exhaust

    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...gaAvhBEALw_wcB

    Only issue was the flange to the exhaust manifold was larger than what i had, but i reused the original flanges i had and welded them on the flex pipe.

    The original was i was going to run the exhaust was down the left side of the Rover, but i was not satisfied. My Dad suggested i go to the other side. I slept on the decision. Went back today and flipped the crossover point and it worked out well, and now i am away from the brake lines.




    Now i need to fully weld everything and probably give it a spray of aluminized high heat paint to try an protect it.
    Order my muffler and o2 sensor bung, and I can put the bulkhead on and continue on assembling the Rover.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Clubs, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.