Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 1958 Land Rover Series 1

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    I got my Ubolts in today so i was able to at least bolt the rear suspension up. The front springs come this week, then i can finally start setting it up for final weld.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well got my PTO hole sleeved in the rear crossmember.
    At first i was not going to recreate it since I did not think i would ever find a Land Rover PTO setup in the states very easy.
    But now that I am using the Dana 18, this opens me up for some PTO options... or use the SM465 for its PTO :)

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Got some stuff in the mail.Got some springs and some grab handles

Put them on the front and it is rolling

Put the handles on the rear crossmember, starting to look like a Series Rover :)

Coolest thing was the freebie from the suspension company :)

Yup it will be mounted on the Rover.

I still have lots of work. I need to adjust the height I am not liking the size shackle i have on the front right now .

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well I had a buddy come over and I threw the bed on the frame. Trying to see how much it will settle down with weight on the rear. It is raked a little bit in the back, but with the bed and hard top and seats later on it should be just fine.

And the rear view. I welded in a receiver in the crossmember. It looks real close to the factory Rover crossmember with everything attached. Cant wait to weld it on

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Did some welding tonight. Final welded the suspension mounts up, relocated rear tub brackets on the frame and welded up the rear crossmember.

I took it out for a stroll this evening to give it some air

I have to cut out the fishplates end put them on, then I start on the bulkhead. Once that is repaired i can start putting the outrigger mounts on to bolt that up.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well tonight i threw the tub back on. I bolted the rear tabs to the body and then clamped to the crossmember. Tomorrow I will weld it up

The first issue showed up with mounting body stuff to the frame. I put my seat section on to mock things up and i noticed the angle i have on the frame is greater than what was originally there. The tool box has a cutout inside to go over the original frame but it hits the new one. Debated at first to notch the frame, but decided that is not what i wanted and it will be easier to redo the notch inside the tool box.

I was hoping to do more, but it was a short and quick evening. More fun tomorrow

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Tonight I got a bunch of little things done.
    Welded on all the rear bed mounting brackets and welded on the tailgate hinge brackets. I had to spend time cutting off the old metal from the brackets, and the even old metal under it. I guess the crossmember on this rig was replaced twice during its life. The previous owner just welded the bracket and the old metal it was on, to the new crossmember. :(

Welded on the front outriggers for the front mounts on the tub

I trimmed the metal on the underseat toolbox so the seat box thingy could bolt to the bed and sit in place. I have it lightly bolted, just making sure things fit.

At least it is starting to look like something now.

City
    columbia
    State
    SC
    Dan, it is obvious that you have far too much free time. I'm jealous.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    The small thing unglamourous things of a project.
    I got the rusty gas tank mounted and the hand brake mounted.
    Just things to get done.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well I got the Rovers heart transplant out of the donor rig. And all i can say is pulling a motor from a s10 sucks. Chevy did not make it friendly to take the motor out of these rigs

Now to sell off the carcass if i can. And make room in the garage for this motor, i am running out of space for motors. i have an Fhead, Rover and now this 4.3l rolling around on dollies.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast