Thread: 1958 Land Rover Series 1

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC

1958 Land Rover Series 1

Ok. OK.
    I got the rig this morning

Well maybe not, it was in my driveway for about half an hour. That is one expensive ride, so nice on the inside. I couldnt really afford to smell the air that was inside it.

The hauler had backed the Rover into the trailer and all he had to do is ride it down the ramps. He put it in gear and let the engine compression slow the rig down. It was rather uneventful. Had to laugh cause rust was falling off everywhere.

In the driveway

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Cool thing is the pans under the seats come up and you can access all gear boxes from above

Happy in the garage

There is alot of rust in the frame. lots of holes, but i knew that going in. i should be able to repair the, heck the crossmember under the transmission actually fell off. Fortunately the gear boxes dont really use the crossmember to stay up. I already pressure washed the rig and vacuumed out the crud. I took the tire off the hood, the rim is really rotted so it will have to be tossed.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Took the op and hood off today. Starting to get it apart.

Getting a bit crowded in the garage

City
    Atlanta
    State
    GA
    I forget if we are facebook friends. I just found the full parts and workshop manual in PDF for these things.

Also all of the part numbers are NLA, but you can put them into Paddock Spares website, and they'll give you the updated part numbers (handy). LOL then take those part numbers and go get it from LRdirect.

The engine actually looks like its in good shape, but do research on that solex carb. I can't remember if they are temperamental or not. The Zenith units are turds.

On the back of the transfer case, that is where the parking brake was supposed to go. I feel bad because I just sold my old parking brake assembly. But they are somewhat easy to come by. Also that output flange on the back of the transfer case, treat it like a newborn baby. Those are NLA.

BE CAREFUL this stupid thing is positive earth. Also that Ammeter is only rated for like, 30 amps. If you put a bigger dynamo on it, it'll break.

The fuel gauge has a resistor that is behind it, as the gauge doesn't operate off of 12v (like, 5 or 8 or something). Those go bad. Fortunately they are like, $7 from LRdirect.

I have a pair of Series 2/3 seats of you are interested. The are the exmoor deluxe front black vinyl (non high-backs) that I'm trying to offload. Let me know if you are interested.

Lastly, for the gearboxes, GL-4 only. Sta-Lube has a good GL-4 that you can normally pick up from NAPA. Either its on the shelf or can easily be had (I can pick it up by the gallon off the shelf). GL-5 in these trucks is a bad time.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    The engine does turn over. We had the hand crank on it yesterday and was turning it.
    I saw the drum was off the hand brake. My CJ2a has the same setup.
    I didnt know that about the outputflange, i will definately keep an eye on it
    I am still thinking about the GM 4.3L/SM465 and Rover Tcase setup for the rig. I am expecting the transmission to be full of water since it sat without a top for years and the shifter is exposed to the torrential Florida summer rains.
    It was already converted from positive earth, there is an alternator and everything was wiring up normally. I just cut into the wiring to pull the gauge yesterday. Interesting thing is the Speedo was already changed to a MPH one, i guess they did that when it was imported.

Are the seats front or rear? Shoot me some pics. My address is Dmeach@aol.com I know i will need seats.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Started this afternoon taking the floors pans and tranny cover off.
    It sure is nice that it unbolts

And here is some chunky goodness. There was an outrigger there at some point. I think this thing crossed under the atlantic to get here :)

There is some good news. it looks like the gear boxes are in usable shape. The Tcase had an inspection cover on top. I popped it off and looked it. Some surface rust from condensation but not full of water, just old gear oil. And the Transmission i was really worried about because the top was not on for many many years. I didnt realize that the shifter does not go down into the tranny, but it contacts shift rods that go into the transmission so i did not get any rain water in it. The Rover transmission has a small dipstick on it to see oil level, and the top has a spring that holds on a cap that lets you fill the box. Pretty cool thinking.
    Last edited by DanStew; 06-26-2017 at 07:16 PM.

City
    Hartsville
    State
    SC
    These things are cool as hell. Love to see it getting a new life. Good luck looking forward to seeing it running again.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    That is really cool. I guess you are going to just go ahead and build a new frame?

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Pretty much. Once I get the body off I can see everything and make a plan.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Got the back of the tub off. Made it easy on myself and just cut the bolts.

Lots more crunchy goodness.

Bad thing is the rust holes in the rear axle, i do not believe there is anymore oil in it.

Not letting it get me down, continue onward!!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast