LM4 5.3L and 4L60E swap into 2004 LJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Reality Check

I spent the evening cuddling on the couch with the little ones. That beats late nights in the garage any day.

I could list reasons or make excuses all night, but there's just too much going on right now and I can't motivate myself to tear apart a running vehicle. I'm going to finish the prep work over the next couple days where the motor is ready to go in if or when needed. Then probably do an oil change in the 4.0 and be ready for another season of fun.

No idea when I'll try this again, or if I end up paying someone to do it... we'll see.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
All things considered, had a good day of progress, and a couple setbacks that would have bitten me.

I spent the morning reengineering my rolling engine pallet so that I don't have to borrow an overhead gantry to pick it up next time (thanks Bill). I can now get a regular engine lift under it to pick up when needed.

Next was the oil pan. I pulled the rest of the awd parts off the Buick pan and dropped the old one. Setback #1, the compressor bracket from the Buick attaches to the block and the oil pan. The LS1 pan, nor the conventional truck pan, have provisions for this. I think I'm going to need an ac bracket from an lm7 (Burgy's yukon xl looks like it should work, assuming the compressors are the same part).

Next, the truck motors have the dipstick tube in the pan, LS1 does not. The LM4 is probably the only block that is not drilled for the tube in the block. Most things I read said the hole was there and plugged, but not the case. A right angle drill and a couple custom drill bits and the hole was done. No big deal.

20181228_181954.jpg

20181228_164757.jpg

20181228_170454.jpg

LS1 windage tray and pickup tube
20181228_172147.jpg

Back on its pallet.
20181228_192356.jpg

Setback #2. There's 1 broken exhaust manifold bolt on each side, and it looks like they're going to leak. So, I'll have to pull the manifolds and get out the broken bolts, and any more that break...

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Harness came back today. $300 plus shipping for a local guy in the upstate that Charles recommended. I haven't looked at it closely, but it came back nicely loomed and labelled. He included a sheet with the fuse block layout, a sheet with details of each connection to be made, and a sheet of details on the ac compressor operation. He also included a laminated fuse block layout sheet.

I'm not going to post his info, but if anyone wants his info send me a pm.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The 4l60 shift linkage arm and bracket to use the stock jeep shifter and cable that I ordered on 12/17/18 from Novak FINALLY shipped today. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
2nd most successful pull a part trip ever.

DJ and I ran to Augusta PAP this morning because they had a fresh on the lot 2004 suburban and a couple rodeos he was interested in. The suburban came in with no drivetrain so was pointless but we still got what we needed.

20190616_115515.jpg
AC compressor, bracket, and lines from a 2000 silverado.

Non adjustable throttle pedal and TAC module from a 2001 Yukon XL.

MAF from a 2003 Yukon XL

And an engine cover but it doesn't fit :(.

All for $121.

DJ also grabbed a nice uhaul receiver hitch for the Rodeo.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
No pictures, but I spent the afternoon extracting the 2 broken off header bolts. It did not go easy, but they're out. The front driver side and back passenger side were both broken off below flush. I tried the welding a nut to it 4 or 5 times but couldn't get it to hold. Ended up getting them both out by drilling and an extractor.

The truck ac bracket I got will work but there is a boss that the aluminum block does not have, so it will only have 3 bolts...

I'm meeting Tripp in the morning to evacuate the ac system, then home and :mech:
:weld:.

Burgundy and Nora were playing downstairs and I asked for a notebook to keep track of everything. Nora made a cover sheet for it.

20190704_201346.jpg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Pretty productive (destructive) day.

20190705_182401.jpg

20190705_190741.jpg

The day started about 8:00 with getting the ac system recovered. Then home and dissambly started with Dad's help.

It started off rough with a bumper bolt that spun the welded nut. We had to work around the arb bumper to pull the fenders and grill, then cut the head off. Will have to come up with something to repair that before it goes on.

Tripp came by after working a half day and we worked solid until around 7:00.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We knocked off early today, around 5:00. And the last 30 minutes was just staring at things.

It fits 20190706_161130.jpg

Overall the clearance is good. Firewall after some sledge hammer work, trans tunnel, all good. Upper control arm to ac compressor, not gonna work. Power steering pump, going to need something with remote reservoir.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Tripp took a couple pictures of the clearance issues. Major interference would occur between the uca and ac compressor. I'll probably end up doing a high mount kit in front of the passenger head. On the other side, the Buick power steering pump has a bulky plastic reservoir that would hit the frame. It looks like the suburban pump would fit, but not sure if the mounting is the same. Will have to do some research on this.
FB_IMG_1562457550638.jpg FB_IMG_1562457588854.jpg

On a good note, the Buick exhaust manifolds fit really well. The steering pillow block doesn't appear to be an issue, and the trans tunnel has tons of clearance.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I didn't even take a picture today... it looks like it did last night but the mounts are fully welded and a couple clearance issues have been addressed.

I started around 9:15 with a test fit of the tcase. It fits nicely on the set of holes that clocks it up almost flat. Then I bolted the original front driveshaft in and it's probably useable as is, will have to verify after crossmember is built. With the driveshaft in though, I could tell the drivers side manifold wasnt going to work because it dumps directly at the driveshaft. I'll need a center dump manifold, at least on the drivers side...

We then pulled the motor back out.
We modded the Dave's Customs motor mounts for more upper control arm clearance. Also mounted the factory steering pillow block back with a little modification. Tripp took some good pictures of that I can add later.

We started brainstorming a transmission crossmember that will be independent of the skids. I was planning to use the factory fuel supply lines and an evap line for the return, but we decided it would make things easier just to run new lines above the frame.

We started cleanup around 4:00 and rearranged the garage where I could get all the vehicles back in. Family in town next weekend so I'll be ordering some parts and taking a break.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
They are as strong or stronger than the factory mounts.

Plenty of janky mounts like this on the internet. If they work the mods should be fine. View attachment 18770
Or a tube welded directly to the frame with a bushing on the other end.

If it were to fail because of that cut, the motor would try to twist backwards (transmission down). That cant happen because the transmission is supported from the back. The front of the motor mounts should take most of the load anyway.