LM4 5.3L and 4L60E swap into 2004 LJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I just talked to the guy that's going to do the harness. I need to get going and pull the harness off the motor so hopefully I can get it to him over Thanksgiving.

He also confirmed that tow/haul can be done and will include the wire for it.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Accomplished pretty much nothing I had planned for the weekend. Had family in town wed-fri night, two sick kids, and a surprise new Christmas tree shopping venture today... starting to question how anyone with kids gets anything done.

It did get a few minutes to start stripping the motor of parts I won't need and disconnecting the harness to get it sent off, but didn't get far.

Accomplished pretty much nothing I had planned for the weekend. Had family in town wed-fri night, two sick kids, and a surprise new Christmas tree shopping venture today... starting to question how anyone with kids gets anything done.

It did get a few minutes to start stripping the motor of parts I won't need and disconnecting the harness to get it sent off, but didn't get far.
This is when you start thinking about paying someone to do the work.....OR you just neglect the family and "get things done". If you neglect the family enough you'll have plenty of time to
do whatever you want, but that divorce lawyer will get most of the money you could have paid towards jeep work.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This is when you start thinking about paying someone to do the work.....OR you just neglect the family and "get things done". If you neglect the family enough you'll have plenty of time to
do whatever you want, but that divorce lawyer will get most of the money you could have paid towards jeep work.
Yep... Burgundy actually asked about having someone else do it. I really don't want to though because I want to know that it's done how I would do it, and know how to fix it of something goes wrong. Also, it would at least double the cost...

Man, I don't get anything done anymore and I have no kids. Don't feel bad. My Jeep hasn't been touched since March. I hope to get motivation soon and be ready for Harlan in April.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Actually made some progress today. Got the harness pulled and the tcase off. Now to get the harness sent off.

Next time I get to work on it, need to remove the front diff and clean...

20181202_161839.jpg

20181202_161830.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I also put the back seat, car seats, and hardtop back on yesterday then took it for a drive. I decided to go ahead and do some highly scientific (stopwatch on my phone) performance tests. With 3/4 tank of fuel it clicked of a blistering 0-60 time of...

14.3 seconds. :shaking:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Harness shipped Tuesday to a guy in the upstate Charles recommended. Computer going to Charles today.

Ordered LS1 pan, windage tray,dipstick, tube, and pickup this morning.

May try to get the radiator ordered today and that will be all the big stuff ready.

You ever messed with one of those obd2 scanner Bluetooth/WiFi modules?

You can get some good baseline numbers with one with stock motor. 0-60 and fuel consumption I know are easily documented, can’t remember if you can find HP with it or not. I got one of amazon to scan codes with using my iPad.

Where did you source the motor from? Craigslist, junkyard or carport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER

You can get some good baseline numbers with one with stock motor. 0-60 and fuel consumption I know are easily documented, can’t remember if you can find HP with it or not. I got one of amazon to scan codes with using my iPad.

I haven't. I looked at some of that stuff years ago. I know they can estimate HP given some specifics on the vehicle and the acceleration it can record.

Motor came from a guy on NC4X4.

I haven't. I looked at some of that stuff years ago. I know they can estimate HP given some specifics on the vehicle and the acceleration it can record.

Motor came from a guy on NC4X4.
I bought one for my jeep to have gauges for the uwharrie trip. it even tracks engine load. The displayed live data is based on vehicle. I'm not sure if the HP numbers are supported for our wranglers. I got one called bluedriver.

https://www.bluedriver.com/products/bluedriver-scan-tool

You can try it if it would help you with anything.

I use one of the USB connected ones to modify Values in my ECM/BCM/ETC in my F150... Neat piece of free software called forscan.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yesterday I got the transfer case built. 27 spline input shaft and sye. I also installed the trans adapter and mocked it all up, but I dont have a spare set of tcase mounting nuts so couldn't leave it together.

Donor case had a welded on hack and tap flange, so had to start by cutting the output shaft.
20181223_095818.jpg

Old and new inputs.
20181223_104947.jpg

Mocked up. Adapters have two clocking positions. This is the flattest.
20181224_000101.jpg

I also ran around and borrowed some equipment.
20181223_194707.jpg