my jealousy is building
    --Brooks

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 97TJGUZZY View Post
    my jealousy is building
    Go ahead and scheduke a couple days in Leesville around Christmas :). Taylor too!

Getting excited:
    20180606_210115.jpg
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Dave's custom unlimited motor mounts ordered. I was trying to hold out for another 20% off sale, or more, but with the looming tariffs and other companies raising their prices, I decided to buy at 15% off. It basically equaled free shipping.

I was also going to order an ECU mount, oil level sensor plug, and a vacuum nipple he sells, but I found an ECU mount and plug I like better for less. I looked at the brake booster vacuum line that they sell the nipple for and my motor has the complete line with check valve that will plug right in the jeep booster. Small win!
    Last edited by LBarr2002; 07-03-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    I wasn't 100% sure what I was going to do for a tach since the Novak emulator would cost over $200 with shipping. I figured I would check idle rpm with my scanner at first and go without for a while. But, I scored an emulator for $60 from a guy who tried to use it with a gen IV LS3 and it wasn't accurate.

I contacted Charles Friday and he gave me a contact in Greenville for the harness work.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    Props on your planning and prep for this build. It should be a smooth transition when the time comes to swap everything.
    Harvard

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by matth_85 View Post
    Props on your planning and prep for this build. It should be a smooth transition when the time comes to swap everything.
    Thanks Matt. As much info as there is out there on this swap, there aren't many that really document the parts used, costs involved, etc. With the Samurai, I knew what had to be done and had everything down to the radiator and heater hoses before I touched it. I won't be quite that prepared since there's more unknowns involved, but hopefully I'll be close.

As I've been researching and asking questions, multiple times I've had people say I wouldn't go through all the trouble of an ls swap for just an "old junkyard truck motor". People seem to think you need an ls3 and 400-500 hp to make it worthwhile. My response has been "I'll take 100hp and 100 ft lbs over stock (50% increase in both) and 100 lb weight savings any day". I'll also have less money in the swap than the average LS3/6L80E would cost alone.

That being said, I want to quantify the improvements. I'm going to try to weigh the jeep before and after. I know what my average fuel economy is now (14.5) and I'll compare it after. I'll probably do some non-scientific stop watch 0-60 times before and after. My question is, if I'm going to have it dyno tuned after, should I get this thing on a dyno for a baseline? Would anyone be interested in seeing the real wheel HP numbers before and after?
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    Thanks Matt. As much info as there is out there on this swap, there aren't many that really document the parts used, costs involved, etc. With the Samurai, I knew what had to be done and had everything down to the radiator and heater hoses before I touched it. I won't be quite that prepared since there's more unknowns involved, but hopefully I'll be close.

As I've been researching and asking questions, multiple times I've had people say I wouldn't go through all the trouble of an ls swap for just an "old junkyard truck motor". People seem to think you need an ls3 and 400-500 hp to make it worthwhile. My response has been "I'll take 100hp and 100 ft lbs over stock (50% increase in both) and 100 lb weight savings any day". I'll also have less money in the swap than the average LS3/6L80E would cost alone.

That being said, I want to quantify the improvements. I'm going to try to weigh the jeep before and after. I know what my average fuel economy is now (14.5) and I'll compare it after. I'll probably do some non-scientific stop watch 0-60 times before and after. My question is, if I'm going to have it dyno tuned after, should I get this thing on a dyno for a baseline? Would anyone be interested in seeing the real wheel HP numbers before and after?
    a current condition dyno would be sweet, if you can get that turd of a transmission to transfer the power to the dyno.
    --Brooks

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 97TJGUZZY View Post
    a current condition dyno would be sweet, if you can get that turd of a transmission to transfer the power to the dyno.
    Dyno numbers on the stock setup might hurt the resale value ;). We'll have to keep those private.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    I think that would be pretty cool, but likely not worth the money spent to make the pulls. If you could find someone doing a dyno day where you get a pull and print out cheap it may be worth it. If you do a dyno tune with Charles you will get the most bang for your buck for sure.
    Harvard

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Anticipation is killing me. Spun the motor over a couple times tonight to make sure it hadn't seized up. All good.

Probably going to order the radiator in the next couple weeks, and oil pan whenever I can get by the dealer during business hours.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12