Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LM4 5.3L and 4L60E swap into 2004 LJ

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLT View Post
    How did the internals of the case look? Did you replace the chain?
    Everything looked good.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC

Reality Check

I spent the evening cuddling on the couch with the little ones. That beats late nights in the garage any day.

I could list reasons or make excuses all night, but there's just too much going on right now and I can't motivate myself to tear apart a running vehicle. I'm going to finish the prep work over the next couple days where the motor is ready to go in if or when needed. Then probably do an oil change in the 4.0 and be ready for another season of fun.

No idea when I'll try this again, or if I end up paying someone to do it... we'll see.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    All things considered, had a good day of progress, and a couple setbacks that would have bitten me.

I spent the morning reengineering my rolling engine pallet so that I don't have to borrow an overhead gantry to pick it up next time (thanks Bill). I can now get a regular engine lift under it to pick up when needed.

Next was the oil pan. I pulled the rest of the awd parts off the Buick pan and dropped the old one. Setback #1, the compressor bracket from the Buick attaches to the block and the oil pan. The LS1 pan, nor the conventional truck pan, have provisions for this. I think I'm going to need an ac bracket from an lm7 (Burgy's yukon xl looks like it should work, assuming the compressors are the same part).

Next, the truck motors have the dipstick tube in the pan, LS1 does not. The LM4 is probably the only block that is not drilled for the tube in the block. Most things I read said the hole was there and plugged, but not the case. A right angle drill and a couple custom drill bits and the hole was done. No big deal.

20181228_181954.jpg

20181228_164757.jpg

20181228_170454.jpg

LS1 windage tray and pickup tube
    20181228_172147.jpg

Back on its pallet.
    20181228_192356.jpg

Setback #2. There's 1 broken exhaust manifold bolt on each side, and it looks like they're going to leak. So, I'll have to pull the manifolds and get out the broken bolts, and any more that break...
    Last edited by LBarr2002; 12-29-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    good times, looks like you are taking it one step at a time. It will be ready for sure when its time now.
    --Brooks

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Harness came back today. $300 plus shipping for a local guy in the upstate that Charles recommended. I haven't looked at it closely, but it came back nicely loomed and labelled. He included a sheet with the fuse block layout, a sheet with details of each connection to be made, and a sheet of details on the ac compressor operation. He also included a laminated fuse block layout sheet.

I'm not going to post his info, but if anyone wants his info send me a pm.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345