Thread: "No bus" display on odometer 99 cherokee, cranks but no start

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC

"No bus" display on odometer 99 cherokee, cranks but no start

Son in laws daily driver 99 cherokee 4.0 automatic 225k miles. Engine turns over but doesn't try to start. The electric cooling fan runs when the key is on. Turn key to run and wait about 30 seconds and odo display changes to no bus and check engine light comes on. I have unplugged crankshaft position sensor and checked for the 5 volt signal and only get .8 (8/10) of a volt. I unplugged the crank, cam, both oxygen, all the sensors at the manifold, the coolant sensor, oil pressure, speed, everything I could find and still same result. The wiring harness seems to be good. Would an obd II scan tool show anything since the check engine light doesn't come on immediately when key is turned to run position? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    My cousins patriot did that once but it went away. She traded it shortly after... The code reader had a bunch of codes about loss of communication with various systems.

When I told Miller what happened, he said to pull the cluster and clean the connections.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Greenwood
    State
    SC
    Just found it. Squirrels had chewed the fuel pump wiring in two at the tank. Put them back together and replaced the fuel pump fuse. Started right up. I guess the fuel gauge runs on the bus. Fixing to clean the 22 and check the scope.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    I had this same problem recently and mine turned out to be loose battery cables.