Hobart 187 mig gun

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Looks like I'm going to have to replace the gun on my hobart 187. The trigger only works when pulled half way. If you pull it all the way, it stops. I made it work for a little while today but it sucked.

Should I just get a replacement hobart ($120) or is there something compatible that's better?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
It appears to have fixed itself, at least temporarily. I'll keep my eyes open for a replacement, and input is still appreciated.

Have you pulled it apart to look at it? My miller broke over the weekend and it turned out that the wire had just slipped off the terminal. Took a couple minutes to fix. Most trigger switches are just little lever switches hidden behind a plastic switch. You could probably just order a new switch from mcmaster for a couple bucks.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Have you pulled it apart to look at it? My miller broke over the weekend and it turned out that the wire had just slipped off the terminal. Took a couple minutes to fix. Most trigger switches are just little lever switches hidden behind a plastic switch. You could probably just order a new switch from mcmaster for a couple bucks.
Yeah, I didn't take much time to look at it because I was rushing to finish up the project before my nephew's birthday party. I'll pull it back out and check. It didn't look like it was intended to be taken apart...

My lincolns and the miller come apart. They both used a ring at the top of the torch that you had to rotate. Then on both the actual electrical switch was just a little reed switch. The trigger you pull was just a piece of plastic that pushed on the switch.

Ya take it apart they are stupid simple and easy to diagnose. They do wear out though.

If you decide to replace it, I really like tweco which is airgas brand. I also suggest getting one a little bit longer. It's sure nice have a couple extra feet to play with instead of constantly moving your machine. I also have a lot bigger machine but either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk