Shop Air

So, Working on my Whole Shop Vacuum system and need to run air at the same time...(more on that later).

Whats everyone using in their shops? PVC, Rapid Air, Black Pipe, PEX?

Last edited:
So, Just when i think i have myself talked into PVC, I read another thread....

Black Iron and Copper are SUPER close in cost... I dont have a tread cutter so i would have to buy that... Copper Type M vs Black Iron NPT threaded.

I run a fancy air system in my garage. The idea is great, but PVC water pipe would have been cheaper and better.

As it goes, I have my air compressor which is under my work bench. I flip a switch and it goes on. It is directly plumbed into a junction box next to my workbench. There, I have a gauge and a connection point. From there, the line goes up the wall to the ceiling. Then to an air reel. I'll be honest, that air reel is the shizzle. 99% of the time I'm using air, I'm using that. If you are going to be plumbing everything, GET ONE. I love mine. From there, the line then continues to the front of my garage to a terminating junction box with air chuck connection. I enjoy having an air connection at the very front of my garage. Makes filling a tire quick and easy, or running the air gun to blow off stuff outside, or whatever. Its on a coil hose.

One of our family friends uses PVC in their shop. But he has like, a real automotive repair shop. Apparently PVC pipe for water is rated for 200-something psi. So its fine for 125 psi. Its cheap and when it breaks, its easy to fix.

I say go that route. Or the route with my system. I think all told, it was like, $200 for hose, three junction boxes, and a crap load of fittings. Everything was plug n' play. Needed a few extra fittings, but a quick ride up to Lowes solved that problem.

Overall, NOT having an air hose on the ground is amazing.

I run a fancy air system in my garage. The idea is great, but PVC water pipe would have been cheaper and better.

As it goes, I have my air compressor which is under my work bench. I flip a switch and it goes on. It is directly plumbed into a junction box next to my workbench. There, I have a gauge and a connection point. From there, the line goes up the wall to the ceiling. Then to an air reel. I'll be honest, that air reel is the shizzle. 99% of the time I'm using air, I'm using that. If you are going to be plumbing everything, GET ONE. I love mine. From there, the line then continues to the front of my garage to a terminating junction box with air chuck connection. I enjoy having an air connection at the very front of my garage. Makes filling a tire quick and easy, or running the air gun to blow off stuff outside, or whatever. Its on a coil hose.

One of our family friends uses PVC in their shop. But he has like, a real automotive repair shop. Apparently PVC pipe for water is rated for 200-something psi. So its fine for 125 psi. Its cheap and when it breaks, its easy to fix.

I say go that route. Or the route with my system. I think all told, it was like, $200 for hose, three junction boxes, and a crap load of fittings. Everything was plug n' play. Needed a few extra fittings, but a quick ride up to Lowes solved that problem.

Overall, NOT having an air hose on the ground is amazing.
Which system did you use? Rapid Air? Im wanting a good air source next to all of my wood working tools that will also all be plumbed in together. I guess the idea of splintering Exploding PVC has me worried.

Yeah. Rapid air. That is what I'm using.

Get a heat gun because the blue piping is very rigid and wants to stay in a coil.

Had it for three years. Finally had a problem last month. One of the pipes wasn't in the fitting very well and it was leaking air enough to be annoying. I took it all apart and put heat on the pipe. It went into the fitting very firmly this time. No problems.

Overall now I'm spoiled.

Not sure how big of a job this is going to be for you, but you could probably rent a rigid pipe threader from an equipment rental place and knock out every cut and thread in less then 1.5 hour. I threaded 30 pieces of pipe the other day in less then 45 minutes. Doing it by hand would suck so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im actually doing something off in left field... The Nice manifold blocks that RapidAir sell were not exactly what i wanted.. So, I picked up 5 Chunks of Aluminum from fleabay and will spend the afternoon on the Mill drilling and tapping my own. It will be more work, but i will have exactly what i want. I am using their hose and fittings, I found a deal on the 1/2 OD tubing.