Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Tire Purchase talk

City
    Seneca
    State
    SC

Hypothetical Tire Purchase talk

Assume you were getting tires in the next few weeks for your daily driver that you also wheel......What would you buy? 35-37's, not competition compound.

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    KM2.... or wait a couple months to a year for the hopefully soon to be released KM3
    --Brooks

City
    Hodges
    State
    SC
    I passed four test trucks likely running the KM3's today. I will hopefully catch them at hot spot this week and sneak a picture.
    Harvard

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    I'd go with mtrs or km2s, whichever I could find the better price.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I only have experience with the KM2's. I have enjoyed them. I have had them in both 35 and 37. I currently run 37's. If you take care of them and your setup, they run the same on the road. But any tire that large (35 or 37) are hard to keep running well on the road if you wheel them. One trip on the rocks will take them out of balance. I used to run beads in the 35's. They did good for a while, but after that, they didn't help much.

Also, a side note, I have never ran them but have always thought the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw looked like a nice tire. Maybe someone has some experience with it.
    This hobby begins as a search for the perfect setup, then gradually becomes the never ending discovery of the weakest link.
    Greg

City
    Columbia
    State
    SC
    I bought a 37" Falken wildpeak that I've been using to test fit on my early bronco. I can't say anything about the performance cause it's just been sitting around the shop but I know they spent years developing them and they've used them on the UA a couple years. I just liked the tread pattern because it has a retro look. I talked to one of the Michelin test engineers last year when I had training there and he seemed to think the km3 was gonna come out in 2017.

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    No opinion to contribute, but i'm glad you asked the question. I will likely be buying a set of 35s for the Commando at some point this year. I have been considering KM2s and MTRs. I guess I'll start watching carefully for the KM3s.

My other decision is whether to stick with the old 15" steel wheels or to step up to 17" wheels...

City
    Seneca
    State
    SC
    Any thoughts on the Nitto's?

I haven't made any conclusions about them but I feel like they deserve some kind of discussion if only because of ALL THE MONEY THEY SPEND ON MARKETING THEM. Man, they spend a ton of money in advertising and seem to have made a dent in the JK market.

My Cooper STT's have done fine. On the trail they have done well too...any problems that I've had on the trail seem to be from the driver, not the tire's abilities.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    I was talked out of trail graps because of the weight.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    Blythewood
    State
    SC
    I absolutely love my Mickey Thompson MTZ3s. They are pretty damn loud on the road but I had BFG all terrains before so I would assume any mud tires going to be pretty noisy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast