Trailer Question

Stupid question. Is it legal to have the trailer coupler removable on a trailer? Like having a reese hitch with a coupler that pulls out for security? This would be for a car hauling trailer, so i ask because it is a bit heavier than a small camping trailer. I am playing around at work with making a new car hauler with some axles i got this weekend,.

There are a ton of trailers built with removable tongues. I have had a few boats that were done that way so they could fit into a garage. I know that the new trailer I am designing now has a removable tongue so that it will be tough and pointless to steal it. My HOA is not so happy with my trailers so I want to keep them at the shop. Trailers disappear from the shop so I want to make the tongue removable and then chain up the tires.

Stupid question. Is it legal to have the trailer coupler removable on a trailer? Like having a reese hitch with a coupler that pulls out for security? This would be for a car hauling trailer, so i ask because it is a bit heavier than a small camping trailer. I am playing around at work with making a new car hauler with some axles i got this weekend,.
My Teardrop has a removable coupler and it passed inspection.