Dana 44 axel shaft bearings

A little back ground, a few weeks ago I purchased a 2003 44 to go into my TJ I replaced the axel shaft bearings and seals the new bearings were the one piece type. I installed the axel in the Jeep and ever since I have had a little weeping at the seals so tonight I pulled the drivers side and when I did the one piece bearing came apart and left the race in the axle tube. I went ahead and put it back together but have not driven it yet. Will I have an issue with that bearing or will it be ok? Just not sure if I need to replace it or not.

A little back ground, a few weeks ago I purchased a 2003 44 to go into my TJ I replaced the axel shaft bearings and seals the new bearings were the one piece type. I installed the axel in the Jeep and ever since I have had a little weeping at the seals so tonight I pulled the drivers side and when I did the one piece bearing came apart and left the race in the axle tube. I went ahead and put it back together but have not driven it yet. Will I have an issue with that bearing or will it be ok? Just not sure if I need to replace it or not.
I put the one piece bearings in my 8.8, but I'm not sure how the race could stay in the axle tube? sounds like something isnt right. its not a tapered bearing correct? just a roller bearing.

That is normal. The race is just slightly glued or has a stepped edge where it meets the inner bearing race. Once it has been installed into the axle tube and is run the race will stay in the tube normally the next time the axle is pulled out.

Can you see where the gear oil is weeping at? around the tube or at the seal surface on the axle shaft.

I usually apply rtv to the outside perimeter of the seal to help it seal the tube off and I have occasionally packed wheel bearing grease between the seal and the bearing.

Also, did you packed the wheel bearing with grease prior to installation on the shaft or did you oil it thoroughly before you drove the jeep?

I put the one piece bearings in my 8.8, but I'm not sure how the race could stay in the axle tube? sounds like something isnt right. its not a tapered bearing correct? just a roller bearing.
His D44 should use a tapered bearing that presses onto the shaft with a locking ring. Your 8.8 probably has a roller bearing that installs into the end of the axle tube.

That is normal. The race is just slightly glued or has a stepped edge where it meets the inner bearing race. Once it has been installed into the axle tube and is run the race will stay in the tube normally the next time the axle is pulled out.

Can you see where the gear oil is weeping at? around the tube or at the seal surface on the axle shaft.

I usually apply rtv to the outside perimeter of the seal to help it seal the tube off and I have occasionally packed wheel bearing grease between the seal and the bearing.

Also, did you packed the wheel bearing with grease prior to installation on the shaft or did you oil it thoroughly before you drove the jeep?
Yeah I packed the bearing before I installed it. And applied a thin layer of grease to the shaft where the seal runs and applied a thin layer of RTV to the outside of the seal. It appears to be weeping around the seal lip where it touches the shaft and I can’t find a groove where the seal runs but can’t see that area very good with everything assembled.

So I should be ok to run it like it is?

One more thing the torque for the retainer plate is 45 ft/lbs right?

Last edited: