Winrock Trails

We are headed to Winrock this coming weekend and trying to find trails to ride. I'm taking the Cj5 which is mostly stockish so you have an idea of what I'm looking for. I've ran Rattle Rock and had a nervous breakdown on Atomic Ridge (Clippa lol) so don't even bring those up.
I've been watching tons of YouTube clips and reading. Was advised to just stay on blue trails but from the looks of most vids I've watched it won't be long and those will be black diamond trails also.
What are must see spots? Decent trails?

Paging Tim Neal, They went on a full epic ride the last two trips that were mostly scenic. I'll see if he can update you on where they went.

Avoid the trails above New River Highway (Hwy 116). Many of them are overgrown and so you'll just scratch the crap out of your truck. That said, at the very top of the park is a place called, "The Flats". Its a mountain top that was strip mined. So now its just big...and flat. Some cool trails up there and it is extremely scenic. Only issue is that it is a 45 minute drive via pavement to get up there.

11053401816_699b3d3fd9.jpg Looks About Right by Max Thomason, on Flickr

11053423254_2544d9c8ee.jpg The Road by Max Thomason, on Flickr

11053476643_f769f0da24.jpg Look down on the peeps by Max Thomason, on Flickr

Beyond that, I would stick to trails closer to the main gate, and more toward the west. Also the trails around the windmills are super easy and extremely scenic.

21953851252_f551d9c887.jpg Windrock Overlook by Max Thomason, on Flickr

BTW, the map on their website is full of nothing but lies and deceit. I planned a trip up there using it a few years ago, and ended up on MANY SxS trails and discovered its overall inaccuracy. The map that they sell is A LOT better. So pick up a map when you get your ticket.

Lastly, their campsites are legit, so is their bath house. I typically stay at one of the sites close to the bath house. Makes life easier. However their sites back up in the woods are very nice as well. The RV sites are good too. Oh and their cabins are pretty baller as well. The larger ones seem to be great if you've got a few guys and can split the cost.

Overall I can't wait to go back.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
You shouldn't have a problem with 22. Take a left immediately after the security gaurd across the rickety wood bridge. From there you can get on all of the 40 something trails.

13 is also nice and has the cave.

Sweet Land Rover.
Nick ill get the app fo sho!
Larry thanks for the trail tips.
I figured this could be the go to thread for Winrock. So if you have pointers for trails lets hear them. ill also post up what i run and the conditions to be expected.
We are camping at Half Moon campground. its a new campground and can get right on the trails from there. I read good reviews so ill give my option once we get back home.

Dude, Rock Hollow Campground is the place. The cabins he built have hardwood floors, stainless appliances..........etc. you can rent an old fish camp on a pond too. Campsites are nice as hell and you have the trail right there. Check it out sometime. The owner Tim will do anything for ya.

We played on 22 a lot last time we were there. I downloaded maplets, I hope it functions better than it looks. I do like that there is a disclaimer to not use it for navigation. My waterproof case and roll cage mount comes in today so by lunch tomorrow I should be zipping down trails and testing it out. My plan for tomorrow is to roll out early and go bomb some trails to see what I can find. I just want to cover ground before all those leaf sprung guys roll in.

The app is awesome. Drop pins on any kewl places you find, then share some screen shots. I'm gonna get a mount as well for next trip.

Had a good trip but ill never ever go during a burn ban again. Couldn't even light the grill to cook. Wheeling, camping, and warm fires when its in the 20's all go hand and hand. Made for a boring post ride camp.
That campground is really nice. Big spacious sites, handful of new cabins. Nice clean shower house. I enjoyed it better that the Winrock campground. Didnt have 100 Razors going by all day and night killing us with dust.
Made a trip out to the Windmills and also tried to make it to the Flats but wow is that a ride. We got tired of riding and turned around in fear of not making it back before dark . Also trail 16 is list blue but should be black.

I thank next time the trip to the flats will start with taking the paved road to the back side of the park. That last 5 miles of ridding on trail 61 was buy far the roughest trail we tried all weekend that **** should have been a blue trail.

Unless dean went back on 16 on Sunday. We were told by a couple different people that it had gotten pretty bad and they are not going to maintain it anymore..He said it has very deep ruts in it?? I rode a good portion of 16 with Jared and I was in my rzr and it was fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I hate that I missed this one, but hopefully I can get out next time. It is guaranteed that I won't ever have the same problem with going again.

61 is a green trail that runs all the way up to blue 62 which we figured would have been kind of smooth but boy was we wrong. We probably went 1 mile past the G55 and 61 intersection turned around we couldn't take no more and it was like 3pm. We ended up taking G55 back to beech grove rd.

Unless dean went back on 16 on Sunday. We were told by a couple different people that it had gotten pretty bad and they are not going to maintain it anymore..He said it has very deep ruts in it?? I rode a good portion of 16 with Jared and I was in my rzr and it was fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Na we where way away from trail 16. I run 16 in 2wd but that not saying much went the whole weekend 2wd except for one section on the access trial from half moon.