Grill/smoker/man oven

Sup dudes

I've been cooking on a Weber charcoal for past few years and built a UDS a few years ago too but gave it to my dad. I have a gas grill I fixed up but have only used 4 times maybe. Gas isn't for me.

Looking into buying a new grill/smoker. Kamado style is what I have been looking at mostly, but not opposed to something else.

What are you guys using and liking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For grilling purposes I have a chat broil infared grill/smoker that I absolutely love. It's great for quick meals. Not so great for smoking. But does awesome wings, pork chops, steaks.

I have a Oklahoma joes side box stick burner that I do all my long cooks on. It's good for the money but I want something nicer. The BGE and Kamodo cookers are very nice. I'm really leaning toward a pellet smoker next time though. $1500 for anything worth having but you can get some bad *** quality off of them.

Sup dudes

I've been cooking on a Weber charcoal for past few years and built a UDS a few years ago too but gave it to my dad. I have a gas grill I fixed up but have only used 4 times maybe. Gas isn't for me.

Looking into buying a new grill/smoker. Kamado style is what I have been looking at mostly, but not opposed to something else.

What are you guys using and liking?

I had never heard or kamado grill, but I see after googling its like a green egg.

I use my UDS for smoking things, but for grilling burgers, steaks, chicken, I have a a black Pipe style grill that has held up well. I think its a charbroil.

For grilling purposes I have a chat broil infared grill/smoker that I absolutely love. It's great for quick meals. Not so great for smoking. But does awesome wings, pork chops, steaks.

I have a Oklahoma joes side box stick burner that I do all my long cooks on. It's good for the money but I want something nicer. The BGE and Kamodo cookers are very nice. I'm really leaning toward a pellet smoker next time though. $1500 for anything worth having but you can get some bad *** quality off of them.
I've been meaning to ask what you use. I was thinking you had a charbroiler version of the kamado.

I've never eaten off a pellet style cooker (traeger) but I've heard the flavor is weird tasting. They seem to be awesome and digital so I'm not opposed to that route.

Primos is the only kamado style grill made in America from my understanding (made in Ga) and they are supposedly really nice. Anything ceramic is going to hold up for a lot longer then steel for sure so I realize a ceramic is going to cost a good bit more but it won't rust out or fall apart.

The Primos guys always have a bad *** setup at the BBQ festival. Food is always legit they offer as well.

I haven't heard that from the pellet smokers but I haven't done a ton of research. I know that's what everyone who placed well in the festival used.

Ive got 1.5 barrels in my garage I thought about throwing together to make something like this for time being. I liked my UDS but hated how you had to take lid off to access the meat and the coal. https://www.barrelhousecooker.com

Also found this website that has a lot of the big names and such will likely buy whatever I decide on local but it's nice to reference online. I'm thinking I may hold off on a fancy grill until I can get my backyard/patio area set up better which I'm hoping to do between now and spring.
http://www.bbqguys.com

I don't think there is a bad grill unless its gas.
I have a Bayou Classic Ceramic grill ( BGE knockoff). Paid $800 for it in 09 and its still going strong cooking some of the best eats. Buuuuut its more of a smoker than pure grill. No matter how hot I get it, the food has a smoke flavor. Im all about smoke, just not on my steak. I cook them hot and quick to seal in flavor usually 8-10 min max.
My favorite girll for quick no smoking stuff is my Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi. I love this little grill and see it living longer than me. As most grills have hot and cold spot on the one the cold spots are even hot because of what cast iron is know for. Even heating. Everyone needs one of these.
I bought my dad a Tregar pellet grill and i have mixed feelings on it. For ease of use and convenience hands down can't be beat. The owners manual is pretty spot on for how long and what temp to cook your meat on ( Beavis: huhuhuhhu he said your meat). My only prob is it seems to use the pellets really quick but the diff wood flavored pellets are nice.
I think if your into grilling or smoking you need a variety of grills depending on what your trying to achieve. Id love to try a comp one year. Not that "my meat" is so good but i enjoy it and learning what others are doing.

I remember your grill but couldn't remember what the brand was.

I'm all about cast iron. I don't use any pan we got for our wedding bc I always go for something cast iron instead.

Melissa always says I make cooking an "event" so I don't mind waiting on charcoal to heat up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dean. What you said is spot on. A variety is the way to go. Different grills do different meats the best IMO. Just as different wood brings different taste, different types of grills will give the meat a different tenderness and texture.

I disagree on the gas comment. I love my little infared smoker for steaks, pork chops, chicken breast. 10 minutes and dinner is done and there is little to no cleanup.

I will eventually buy a ceramic cooker and a pellet cooker more than likely. The man barn is going to be a cook house/football haven.