Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep 7" Round Head Lights

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Well, Blue Santa (USPS) dropped off my package with a busted headlight housing on Friday. The replacement should be here today. I will report back.. I did find out something rather interesting about the "history" of one of the two lights in the jeep...

Per my dad"One of those sealed beams is a GE Halogen that dates back 30 plus years when halogens first came out! It was in my First Mustang in High school…..If it is not bad I would like to have it back…..I have its’ mate in the garage. I am pretty sure it is in the passenger side on the Jeep.
    "
    Guess that explains the amazing performance I was receiving. Wonder if this replacement will last 30+ years...
    Look at the Word Differently - In a World of Talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    I need to do something about mine as well. I can't see crap at night.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Low beam

High Beams

I feel like crap so I didn't get technical. I highly recommend these housings and the 80/100 watt bulbs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

City
    columbia
    State
    SC
    A question from newbie, are these HID or LED? I am looking to get something similar for my 09 JK and want to stay in the same price segment. Preferably LED.

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoader6 View Post
    A question from newbie, are these HID or LED? I am looking to get something similar for my 09 JK and want to stay in the same price segment. Preferably LED.
    Plain old halogens.
    '04 LJ Sleeper

City
    columbia
    State
    SC
    Plain halogens is certainly a reliable option but I really like that white color of the HID or LED. Even though I was a little skeptical about the last ones, but according to what I read these LED bulbs is the new thing that will probably be installed on all cars https://www.carid.com/articles/led-h...-lighting.html

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Here's the thing about LEDs and HIDs, let me preface this by saying I work and design outdoor lighting products for roadways and parking lots. The biggest challenge with LEDs and HIDs is the beam shaping, both require special optics to properly focus and spread the light. The second problem with LEDs and HIDs is reliability. Both light sources require special power supplies, that is typically a Chinese box designed and built down to a cost with the cheapest components available. Lastly, LEDs generate lots of heat, this heat has to be removed from the diode junction in order for the diode not to burn out. This usually means a large heat sink and or a small fan. Both of which are easily clogged with dust. And finally the not so important issue, the LED bulbs don't generally generate enough heat to melt snow and ice off of the headlight housings.

With all that said, if you buy something like trucklites or jw speakers those are well engineered quality products.

Just my 2cents worth.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    was there any special wiring for what you installed or is it pretty much plug and play?
    --Brooks

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    The only parts needed are the housing, bulb and ceramic pig tail?

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by GPWMike View Post
    The only parts needed are the housing, bulb and ceramic pig tail?
    Yes, Im not totally sure the ceramic plug is really needed, but with the extra heat from the higher wattage bulb it was cheap insurance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast