Deep Cycle Batteries

So, after a little bit of research on Batteries I know what I want, but I dont know if I really need it.

Deep cycle batteries come in numerous shapes, sizes, and types. Marine, Golf Cart, Sealed, Lead Acid. Marine batteries are a hybrid of a starting battery and a deep cycle, so they do not have the lifespan or the capacity of an actual deep cycle “house” battery like used in an RV or Golfcart.

Golf Cart batteries are similar to “House” RV batteries in that they are meant to give a slow release over a long time and are not rated for the current draw of repeatedly starting. But they will run a fan for instance for a longer period of time.

The reason I am digging into this, is on top of the option to have lights at anytime in our Teardrop, I would also like the option to run the fan all night for numerous nights in a row and for Andrea to run her hairdryer without needing to charge the batteries.

The most common being the Lead Acid variety which is also the cheapest, but requires some regular maintance and cleaning of the terminals. They also have the possibly of leaks and they need to be vented. This pretty much eliminates them from the list of ones I would mount inside our Teardrop. My proposed battery location is in the back of the teardrop inside the storage area to lower the possibility of theft, clean up the wiring, and also not add to more tongue weight than I already have. If I go this route a vented battery is not an option.

Another option are Sealed batteries, both Marine and GolfCart/House batteries can be purchased as a sealed battery. Golf Cart batteries are available in 6V or 12V. With the 6 Volt batteries I have the option to run them in series to get the normal 12 Volts. This option takes up a little more space, but the capacity available can be much larger than one 12V battery.

So I need some ideas/opinions on what to do. I’m not an electrical engineer for sure. I have read a few ways to calculate the power usage of the fan over an hourly period and haven’t dug deep enough into it yet to figure it out.

Also, the Life Span of the Deep Cycle Batteries and Golf Cart Batteries can be up to 8-10 years, where as you are lucky to get 2-3 years out of most marine deep cycle batteries.

So, what do you think? And do you have any suggestions?

Golf cart batteries mounted underneath on either side of the axle. Then you don't have to worry about leaks, outgassing, or losing interior space. Add a plug from the jeep (large 7 way plug has this) that will recharge the batteries while you drive.

Your a brave soul for stating you need a battery so Andrea can run her hair dryer on a forum full of dudes.

...but a considerate husband.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hair dryers will pull some power, i would double check your numbers on that with what size power inverter you plan to use. If you use LED lighting you won't have an issue draining the battery at all over several days. I would also think about getting solar panels to mount on top or portable to sit out once you've set up camp and help maintain full charge.

I run the second to largest amp hour rv battery that interstate offers ( that my wallet would let me buy) Our camper has gone several days of use with out a need to charge the battery. That's with running the water pump for showers, dishes etc.., running minimal lighting only when needed (I haven't fully converted to all LED lighting), the fridge set to propane( but the controls still use 12v), minimal use of the fan, and the stereo has its typical draw for memory presets.

Is the camper going to be able to hook up to normal AC power for campgrounds as well?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Hair dryers will pull some power, i would double check your numbers on that with what size power inverter you plan to use. If you use LED lighting you won't have an issue draining the battery at all over several days.
The hair drier is where this gets complicated. Led lighting, charging phones, even the fan are probably not going to be an issue with most batteries. With the hair drier you get into running a DC to AC inverter, efficiency losses of the inverter, large power draw of the drier for an unknown amount of time...

I like the solar panel idea. Between charging while you're driving and solar once set up you'll probably not have an issue with the normal items.

AGM mobility scooter battery would be ideal.... paging Nick.

Hair dryers will pull some power, i would double check your numbers on that with what size power inverter you plan to use. If you use LED lighting you won't have an issue draining the battery at all over several days. I would also think about getting solar panels to mount on top or portable to sit out once you've set up camp and help maintain full charge.

I run the second to largest amp hour rv battery that interstate offers ( that my wallet would let me buy) Our camper has gone several days of use with out a need to charge the battery. That's with running the water pump for showers, dishes etc.., running minimal lighting only when needed (I haven't fully converted to all LED lighting), the fridge set to propane( but the controls still use 12v), minimal use of the fan, and the stereo has its typical draw for memory presets.

Is the camper going to be able to hook up to normal AC power for campgrounds as well?

The power inverter is 30 AMP, something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Parallax-Pow...8-2&keywords=Amp+Electronic+Converter/Charger

All of the lighting is LED inside and out. We wont have a water pump or stereo to begin with. It will mostly be charging phones, running the fan and a hair dryer for the wife.

It will have a hookup for shore power at a campground. If we are at a campground we should be fine with anything. Its some of the boondocking that I plan to do. I obviously dont need a hair dryer, but I would like the option to run the fan all night for a few nights without charging. Solar will be on my horizon eventually.

The camper will be wired for charging from the tow vehicle through a 7 way plug.

Golf cart batteries mounted underneath on either side of the axle. Then you don't have to worry about leaks, outgassing, or losing interior space. Add a plug from the jeep (large 7 way plug has this) that will recharge the batteries while you drive.
How would they handle being dunked under water? I feel like under the camper would be a corrosion nightmare.

The hair dryer would be my only concern then while boondocking. Do some looking around, the prices of decent solar panels seem to vary all over the place for similar wattage units.

I've got a DEKA in my rover. I've done everything I can to try and murder it. No dice. After 4 years of failed alternators and starters and general debauchery, its still good. Also I see it is what most of my customers use in their machines as well, which is cool.

Excellent product, I'd go with that.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/applications/recreational-vehicles/

Beyond, it will determine your usage. Obviously going LED will save a bunch of power as will being mindful. However for a long weekend of non-caring about power usage, you'll probably kill it off. Which is fine because who cares if the battery is dead at the end. Also you can setup the wiring such that your tow vehicle can trickle charge the battery when being towed. A couple hours at 5~10 amps would help a lot.