Offroad Teardrop

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
There won't be much flex in the suspension because it will just pivot the whole trailer at the coupler, so all you have to account for is sag from loading it down and shock from hitting bumps. But, I don't know how to questimate that.

We aren't trying to reinvent the wheel are we...:confused: With as many of these trailers that have been built over the years for on road and offroad use there ought to be a standard to go by.

We aren't trying to reinvent the wheel are we...:confused: With as many of these trailers that have been built over the years for on road and offroad use there ought to be a standard to go by.
Many people swear leaf springs are not what you want. Some say use the torque flex axles but they have a short life on something like this. Also, most teardrops are not made for bombing dirt roads and the ones that are use independent suspension. That's out of my price range currently so I'm looking at ways to make leafs work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There won't be much flex in the suspension because it will just pivot the whole trailer at the coupler, so all you have to account for is sag from loading it down and shock from hitting bumps. But, I don't know how to questimate that.
I agree, that's where I'm at currently.

My Featherlite has torsion axles and has seen years of use and abuse with no issues, plus, my Airstream camper has torsion axles and is 30 years old. No problems. Even my military trailer uses torsion axles.

I would just go with normal trailer springs since independent with triple bypass is out of the budget. Simple, durable, and readily available. You aren't really looking for flex. Offroad with a trailer isn't going to be bombing through anything. The trailer should be pretty darn light so it is just going to roll on the coupler before it flexes the springs. If you lighten up your springs enough for it to flex you are going to be rocking and rolling all over the place at highway speeds. If you want something different go with mono leafs from a minivan or a reduced XJ leaf pack. The problem there is your springs get a lot longer and you will need more shackle to take up the difference as it compresses.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
If it were me, in the interest of getting it done on time, I'd let the builder do whatever he normally does and change it later if you don't like it. Your tires are outside the tub so height doesn't matter for tire clearance. I know you're shooting for the max height of 6', but if it's a little taller than that it's not the end of the world, and once you have it in your hands you can decide if it needs to be changed.

If it were me, in the interest of getting it done on time, I'd let the builder do whatever he normally does and change it later if you don't like it. Your tires are outside the tub so height doesn't matter for tire clearance. I know you're shooting for the max height of 6', but if it's a little taller than that it's not the end of the world, and once you have it in your hands you can decide if it needs to be changed.
spoke with him this morning about it, I brought up that exact thing. That a few inches wont make or break it. We are looking at a roof height of 6'-3". They did order the axle a few days ago so its a done deal.

You could do away with the "fenders" and make the width of body increase for more room and make the body come out to the edge of the tires, then make a "plate" bolt to the body to cover the upper part of the tire for safety.

trailer_zps8socvope.jpg

Like the military trailer but just have the plate cover the tire a bit.

It's already wider than I wanted haha, any wider and I'll knock every corner off on the trail. I manhandled the tires on today.

dc0f3e142916d0671fe6a72e062bdd21.jpg