I Hate People Who Try to Install stuff

Still fighting this house. I have to repair my patio door because it is an odd opening size and we dont have the money for a custom door, and i need to fix this door leak and subfloor before i can finish my flooring in the house. I pulled the outside molding to see what is going on with the rot in the patio door for me to fix it. So once i pulled the aluminum cover pieces, there is the patio door. And i find out that the person who installed it did not use any flashing for any of it, there were no shims either. There are 4 screws holding the door in (two on each side) and there is an inch of gap between the door frame and the house frame. I was scared the door was going to come out when i was pulling off the front trim pieces. And behind it all was a cockroach factory, poop everywhere and honestly a 2 inch deep piled on the bottom of the voids. It was actually pretty gross and i do not get grossed out much

Here are some beauty shots of the great work the people did when installing this door
Outside
IMAG0867_zps9prlr1md.jpg
IMAG0866_zpswss7jlqo.jpg
IMAG0864_zpsry4j7pgf.jpg

inside
IMAG0870_zpswixwuwtb.jpg
IMAG0869_zps3gjcpq8f.jpg
IMAG0868_zpstijzhjzc.jpg

I am so frickin angry, i am gonig to get some lumber to fill the holes until i can get to the door this weekend. i have to pull it out to repair and clean the cockroach crap out of there. Take some pride in your work people.

Actually you do need to anchor the door frame at the hinges and shim out and anchor the latch side in about four places. Then Great Stuff the crap out of it. But you are right I see this stuff all the time, the only thing many companies are interested in is getting past the warranty period and getting paid.

Which is why I babysat my house when it was getting built. Annoyed the crap out of them, but I learned that if I showed up wearing a hard hat, a button-down shirt tucked in and a pager on my belt, the guys that were on the job site just assumed I was some kind of inspector and just never asked any questions.

Which is why I babysat my house when it was getting built. Annoyed the crap out of them, but I learned that if I showed up wearing a hard hat, a button-down shirt tucked in and a pager on my belt, the guys that were on the job site just assumed I was some kind of inspector and just never asked any questions.
well played

Sometimes stuff like the condition of that door above occurs when a homeowner that does not possess the skill-set decides to do it themselves. My mother-in-law once decided she wanted a sliding glass door in her kitchen leading to the patio/pool area of their brick house. Now, replacing a door is rather simple, but this was replacing a normal door with a sliding glass door that required a big hole to be made in a brick house. She also decided that paying a licensed, insured and bonded carpenter to install it for $800 was just too much, so she made my father-in-law do it. So, after buying the door, materials, tools, etc.. he ended up saving almost $100.00 and for the past 15 years now the door will only open halfway.

Maybe it was a previous owner half-assing that install.

It could have been the old owner, who knows. They did repair the subfloor next to it, but never fixed the leak, so i have to fix subfloor again. A frustrating cycle. I will get at it this weekend. We were going to replace the entire unit but it is an odd door opening and we did not want to go custom route right now. So I will repair the rot. Good thing is it is two actual pieces. So i can remove the door side from the fake door other side and get it repaired.

Crap, with those gaps can you fit a standard door in there? I have never installed a door that needed that much shim. The previous owner of my house considered himself "handy". Out of the 15 wire shelves I have already removed, not a single one had one type of screw holding it in. The best had a different type of screw in every location into the wall. Four outlet boxes have fallen out of the walls. Two were retrofit boxes, the other two were in brick walls for exterior lights. Every project I take on sucks because I am fixing his crap plus the problem. Currently going on week 2 of cutting the grout out of our shower because apparently they didn't know how to clean a shower. They just painted the grout white to sell the house and that came off as we actually clean a shower. All the mold below the paint became painfully apparent. Note for everyone else. DON'T REGROUT A SHOWER! This process sucks and I should have just gutted and rebuilt.

Currently going on week 2 of cutting the grout out of our shower because apparently they didn't know how to clean a shower. They just painted the grout white to sell the house and that came off as we actually clean a shower. All the mold below the paint became painfully apparent.
And all the "Handy Man" had to do was seal it to begin with. One thing my rental unit (Code word for "I can't get the damn thing sold!") taught me was that tenants won't clean the grout. So I have to take it out of their deposit, then they bitch and moan, etc... so I sealed it. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Seal it or actually clean it one time in the past 20 years. Some of this grout has mold all the way to the thickness of the tile. I am really toying with going to an epoxy based grout. Shouldn't ever have to worry about it other than during the install. I hear they have gotten a lot easier to work with though.