Anyone with selectable lockers

There is a simple mod that I can do that bypasses the 4L interlock on my Rubicon. It would still require the rear locker to engage first, but in any t-case range.

So.... How often have any of you locked the front only? Honestly I can't think of many situations where that would be a huge help. But I realize that y'all have a lot more experience than I do, so let me know. Thanks.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I added a jumper to the arb wiring to allow independent operation and have used it a few times. Locked rear tries to push you straight. If you're trying to turn and climb, sometimes you can unlock the rear, pivot, then lock the rear back up and go.

I'm not sure how the factory lockers in yours are set up, but with the recommended arb wiring if your rear is leaking you may not be able to lock the front because all your air is going out the rear.

I added a jumper to the arb wiring to allow independent operation and have used it a few times. Locked rear tries to push you straight. If you're trying to turn and climb, sometimes you can unlock the rear, pivot, then lock the rear back up and go.

I'm not sure how the factory lockers in yours are set up, but with the recommended arb wiring if your rear is leaking you may not be able to lock the front because all your air is going out the rear.
The factory set up has an air pump (5 psi) for each locker. That is an interesting point about changing directions.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The factory set up has an air pump (5 psi) for each locker. That is an interesting point about changing directions.
So the factory system has completely separate air systems for each locker? Is there feed back to ensure the rear is actually locked before it will let you lock the front or could the rear just be pumping air and the front still engage?

So the factory system has completely separate air systems for each locker? Is there feed back to ensure the rear is actually locked before it will let you lock the front or could the rear just be pumping air and the front still engage?
Yes. I can engage both at almost the same time. As quick as I can click the switch the second time, that is. There are versions of the mod where you can wire in 2 switches to get independent activation - any speed, any t-case position. I liked the simpler version because it requires 2 wires and no switches, but with the aforementioned limitations. So, it looks like I'll be looking for a spot to mount those switches.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yes. I can engage both at almost the same time. As quick as I can click the switch the second time, that is. There are versions of the mod where you can wire in 2 switches to get independent activation - any speed, any t-case position. I liked the simpler version because it requires 2 wires and no switches, but with the aforementioned limitations. So, it looks like I'll be looking for a spot to mount those switches.
Have you seen where mine are mounted? They're in the blank panel that I think is where the ash tray would be.

Have you seen where mine are mounted? They're in the blank panel that I think is where the ash tray would be.
Are you talking about this spot? The PO has a 400W inverter under the seat. Just to the left of the picture is the location of the wiper and washer switches for my long gone hard top. I may remove them and replace with what I need.

20160624_155242.jpeg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yes. There's a seller on ebay that has switches that fit those slots like the winch isolator in mine. You can get them labeled for front and rear locker.

20141206_222548_zpshro4iyrg.jpg

Search for oem tj rocker switch.

Nice call Larry! I have 2 OEM style Diff Locker switches on the way. That will work out nicely and leave a spot for another switch later.